Monday, January 14, 2019

Coachella 2019 Announced!

And holy hannah, it's freaking terrible!

Lineup Poster

Of the top three, only Tame Impala is a great band, but they still should be about the 7th best band on a major lineup's poster!  Grande is not good, despite the opinions of eight year olds everywhere, and Gambino is ridiculously overhyped based on the excellence of that "This is America" video.  The song isn't even good.

Down from those top three, you get very few great things in the second/third lines: Janelle Monae is amazing.  The 1975 are surprisingly growing on me.  Weezer.  Chvrches.  Kacey Musgraves.  Pusha T. Unknown Mortal Orchestra.

But more so than those few bands, you get a ton of flash in the pan junk, like one hit wonders DJ Snake or Dillon Francis or Bazzi, bad rappers like Juice WRLD or Playboi Carti, hot for now Latin guys like J Balvin and Bad Bunny, and stuff I've never heard of like Gesaffelstein or Blackpink (which looks to be an Asian girlgroup) or Cirez D or H.E.R. or Los Tucanes de Tijuana.  

I would be seriously disappointed in this lineup if it showed up in Austin.  I don't know if I'd bag my tickets, but I would consider it.

No comments: