Saturday, May 18, 2019

Kim Viera

One Liner:  Like an up-and-coming Shakira?
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, like Caribbean pop and R&B?
Home: New York

Poster Position: 22


Weekend One Only


Thoughts: Her top track has a Shakira feel to it - and comes in both a Spanish version and an English version - both of which feature Daddy Yankee (and his verses remain in Spanish in each version).  "Como," with 1.6 million streams for Spanish, 7.2 million for English.  Over 25 million views for this video.
That song is singularly annoying.  I actually prefer the Daddy Yankee portions that I can't understand to her saying "lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-long" and "g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-go" in her parts.  I mean, its catchy stuff, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

No real albums, just six singles.

Her most recent single, "Here For You," sounds very much like the copy of some other latina pop song that I'm trying to place.  Wait!  My brain came up with it (well, with the help of a google search for "at night I think of you") and its is Ghost Town DJ's "My Boo."  I'll let you be the judge - is this stealing or just homage?
First, "Here For Ya"

Next, Ghost Town DJs:

I mean, it uses the exact same notes in the chorus, just different words.  And the beat gets very similar as well.  I mean, if Pharrell had to pay Marvin Gaye for Blurred Lines, then maybe this is the same thing?  Feels like stealing.

I sometimes wonder, and this is going to come off way more pretentious than I intend, if I'm wasting my brain on music.  I mean, if my brain didn't have to remember weird shit like the beat and sound of Ghost Town DJs "My Boo" and make connections to new random songs, would I be like curing cancer or something?  I'm gonna say yes, but just keep listening to this lady anyway.

Her second-most streamed track is actually from the Pitch Perfect 3 soundtrack, so I wonder if it is her singing with all of the ladies from that movie, or if it is just her singing?  Here is "Tribe," with 3.3 million streams.
Yeah, I think that is just her.  She's got a great voice though.

In a Billboard article, Viera is described as "Nuyorican."  Which I had to go look up - it is a combination of Puerto Rican and New York and refers to those of Puerto Rican heritage living and raised in New York City.  Interesting.  She came up doing viral YouTube versions of other people's songs along with a pianist named Kurt Schneider - her sixth most popular track on Spotify is a Rihanna cover with Schneider.  She went to Berklee College of Music, so she's been trained in this world.

She has a great voice, she has the looks, for all I know she'll be the next Rihanna.  But for me personally I won't go to this show or keep listening.

No comments: