Sunday, May 12, 2019

Palm Springsteen

One Liner: One song that sounds like a Jack White alter-ego who loves synths
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia - synth rock (they call themselves "blow pop in space" whatever that means)
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: 22


Weekend One Only.


Thoughts: You know how a lot of Jack White's lyrics are just yelled out?  So here's the one song these guys have available on Spotify, which sounds like Jack White left his other four bands behind, listened to the soundtracks to Tron and Blade Runner for a month straight, hung out with the yelling guy from the B-52's, and decided to start a space synth band with  the members of a Strokes cover band.  This is "Hey There Cowgirl," with 113k streams.
I like the sound a lot - the vocals also remind me of the Hives - but the lyrics are hella stupid.  "Hey firewoman!  Where's the fire?!  You're a smoker!  You should quit smokin’!"  Wow.  Yeah.  There it is.  That being said, there is something wonderful about an extremely fun jam of a song that you can yell idiotic lyrics along to.  So I'm kinda digging it.

The lead singer looks like he could be a movie star - his name is Nick Hinman.  In an interview I read, he explained "blow pop in space" as "the love child of Rick Deckard and Corbin Dallas hanging twenty on a proverbial asteroid wave."  WTF.  I know Corbin Dallas is Bruce Willis's character in Fifth Element, but I had to go look up Rick Dekard - and lookie there, he's the Blade Runner dude!  I spotted that reference before I even knew about the reference!  Although, it ought to be Vangelis that he is name dropping, not the Harrison Ford character.  He also says an album is coming in August, so I'll need to go check that out to better review the band.

Even based on just one song, I might actually buy in - pretty fun.

No comments: