Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Claud

One Liner: Non-binary bedroom pop singer who reminds me of Maeby Funke.

Wikipedia Genre: Bedroom Pop
Home: Chicago

Poster Position: 17

Both Weekends.
Friday at 1:45 on VRBO Stage

Thoughts:  When I started this one, I was ready to be unimpressed, but after a few times through her catalog, I have enjoyed her.  Part of my pre-judgment was her second-most streamed track, which I thought was going to be a Billie Eilish cover, but ended up being a really pretty little indie piano tune about legitimately wishing that a best friend was gay.  "Wish You Were Gay" has 7.6 million streams.
"call me your babe instead of your homie" makes me smile.  Lovely little song, and that video is genius.  Like, literally, seeing reality vs. expectations in that situation changes the perspective entirely.  Also, Claud looks kinda like Maeby Funke from Arrested Development.  Normally, I'd run the other way from anything called "bedroom pop" but I find this one refreshingly appealing and pretty.  "Gold" is also good.

Wikipedia says they are non-binary, and began by releasing music under the name Toast.  I like Toast better than Claud, personally.  In 2019, they dropped out of Syracuse to go after music full-time, and later became the first artist to sign with Phoebe Bridgers' record label.  They released Super Monster in 2021.  That is their only album.  "Soft Spot" is the top track from that new album, which now sounds like Bridgers because I'm thinking about it.  3.6 million streams.
Nice.  Kinda dreamy and soft-focused.  They also kind of look like an eight year old boy.  
Their top streamer is "If I Were you," with 8.5 million streams, and is a little more rockin' and bouncy.  
For someone who has never seen the L Word show before, that video was deeply weird.  Well, likely even if you had seen that show before, that video would still be deeply weird.  But a good song.  I like the bass line and the lyrics.

Sure.  I'd go check this out.  Doubt it will be a major timeslot, but I liked it more than I expected.

No comments: