Thursday, July 15, 2021

Holly Humberstone

One Liner: Great English indie singer who makes me think of Maggie Rogers.

Wikipedia Genre: Alterative Rock, pop rock, indie rock
Home: Grantham, Lincolnshire, England

Poster Position: 16.  

Weekend Two Only.
Saturday at 12:50 on the Lady Bird Stage

Thoughts:  Makes me think of Maggie Rogers, which is a big ass compliment as far as I am concerned.  Unfortunately, very limited number of songs available, with just ten on Spotify as of right now.  The opening track is her most recent, which is getting Spotify streams pretty quickly.  "The Walls Are Way Too Thin" currently has just over 3 million streams.
I searched for organic or reef-safe sunscreen at one point recently, and now 90% of my pre-YouTube commercials are for some damn weirdo sunscreen brand that is apparently wonderful for the environment.  Stupid Internet algorhytms.  All that crawling in her video makes me think of Die Hard, which is a good thing.  Pretty track with a catchy tune and chorus.

From her name, my initial guess is that she is from London.  I can definitely say that name in an English accent and it sounds genuine and ready to go.  aaahloo, ahm Aully Amberstuuwn!  Not London, but it ends up she is British, and from a place called Grantham, Lincolnshire, England.  Wikipedia says that she rose to fame because of Lewis Capaldi, a guy who has been at ACL before, because she used to perform during his intermissions at concerts.  Kind of cool.  

I was curious to see if she actually plays instruments, or if she has a full band, or if this is just a girl and a laptop.  Here is a live track she did for a BBC thing.  The song is "Vanilla," and from this example, it looks like she uses looping pedals to make some harmonies, but then plays the guitar for herself.  This is lovely.
So pretty.  But, most of her songs have more than just a basic strumming on them, so what happens behind her on those tracks?  So, from this video, it looks like she'll have some synths and other machines up there, along with her guitar, to make things happen.
I'm very into that song now.  Although, when she looks directly at the camera, I become terrified that she can see me.

Then her top track is a single from last year - "Falling Asleep at the Wheel," with a big streaming number at 29.4 million.
She really likes the camera views where she is lying on the ground.  But, another catchy tune that makes me want to boogie a little bit.  Sort of dance-y, but also kind of somber at the same time.  Odd mix.  She also does a cover of Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees" that is both true to the original and really pretty in its own right.  She's good.  I'd go watch this.

No comments: