Saturday, July 3, 2021

Mob Rich

One Liner: What did I say about MISSIO?  Annoying electronic/alternative pop?

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, going with pop and alternative pop.
Home:  L.A.

Poster Position: 15

Weekend One Only.
Saturday at 1:35 on the VRBO Stage.

Thoughts:  Their label bio puts it this way: "As much as the alt-pop duo's sound owes to the specific otherworldly chemistry shared by Los Angeles transplants Maxwell Joseph and Connor Pledger, the charming melancholy, adventurous soundscapes, and big hooks they conjure are built for everyone. MOB RICH makes intimate and bold music destined to build a broader community with kindred spirits. These are new anthems for the outcast."  [gagging noise, <choking gasp>, small burp]  Sorry, I ...  oh no ...  [gulps] yeah, okay, I think I'm okay.  The bio goes on to compare them to both Tame Impala and Oasis, to which i say GTFOH.  It evokes something more like AJR or something.

Their top single bugs me for the dumbest of all reasons possible.  The chorus uses the words "passenger side," and while I'm well aware that TLC does not have a trademark on those words, it bothers me that they are maybe trying to steal some clout from a classic song while making their own mediocre attempt at a tune.  I'm so bitter about these bands.  I may need to take a break and just listen to Phoebe Bridgers for a week.  Here is their top tune - "Yoko Ono" (told you they are chasing clout), with 15.3 million streams.

The other thing this reminds me of is MISSIO, who I've already reviewed for this poster.  Trying to make big choruses that kids can sing along to and feel like they're been rebellious or cool.  Like, "I'm a loser, hallelujah, but I think I'm gonna be okay."  That lyric is from the shockingly named "Loser."  Apparently they wanted to update Beck's "Loser" with that song, which depresses me so deeply.

Just one album, 2021's Why No Why.  A handful of singles as well.  It's all electronic sounds - I don't hear any real instrumental on here.  Their second-most streamed tune is a 2019 single called "Happy Pill."  12.1 million streams.  After the two you've seen here, no other tune has more than 6 million streams, and most are under a million.
So, an odd thing is that their shirts in the first video make it look as though their name is Moby Rich, and now this video is also attributed to Grandson and Moby Rich.  If you search for Moby Rich or Mob Rich, the same photos come up of these same two doofuses, so I guess they just go by both at any given time?  Like, this article calls them Moby Rich the whole time.  Apparently, their album name is an inside joke about the name change: "The album name ‘Why No Why’ is the tongue in cheek jab at ourselves and our name change. Going from one name to another seemingly overnight, simply by changing the Y, made a lot of people ask why, so this our little joke for our day one fans."  I was hoping that they got a cease and desist letter from Moby after he heard their music and they were forced to change it to avoid getting sued.

I guess I can admit that I grinned at their cover of Weezer's "Say It Ain't So."

I would not go to this show.

No comments: