Friday, July 30, 2021

La Dona

One Liner: Spanish language reggaeton lady with a great voice.

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, she is apparently reggaeton.
Home: San Francisco

Poster Position: 17

Both Weekends.
Saturday at 3 in the Tito's Stage.

Thoughts:  I was really hoping that this was going to be a band whose band name was a tribute to the power of Taco Deli's Dona sauce.  However, no such luck.  Instead, this is Spanish language music fronted by a great singer.

Here bio says: "Blending Caribbean beats, reggaeton, and hip hop styles, San Francisco-born Cecilia Cassandra Peña-Govea composes songs that explore her radical brown femininity, inspired by love, sex, pain, and climate catastrophes. The Chicana singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist grew up performing professionally as a trumpeter in her parent’s conjunto, eventually mastering instruments such as the guitarrón, vihuela, guitar, and Latin percussion. “To be a part of my family is also to be a musician,” she says."  

Climate catastrophes?  That was a jarring addition to that list.  I mean, it's cool with me that her music has been inspired by the climate, but that one just doesn't match with the rest.  "I am inspired by family, culture, and the Crimean War!"  Just to make sure I understood what is meant by the climate catastrophes, I turned to the google.  This shitty-looking website tells me that there are three obvious, greatest climate catastrophes: agricultural collapse, arctic multiple, and ocean collapse.  The website also says that scientists avoid using the term "climate catastrophe."  Great, so now I've done all this damn research with nothing to show for it.

Okay.  She's got profile pieces in NPR, New York Times, and Billboard.  She's hot stuff.  Her real name is Cecilia Cassandra Pena-Govea, and she has coined a new term to describe her musical style - "femmeton" - a mix of feminist and reggaeton.  I personally wouldn't know reggaeton if it ran me over with a '68 charger being driven by Michelle Rodriguez with Vin Diesel riding shotgun, but I'll go with it that this is a good example of reggaeton.

One album, 2020's Algo Nuevo.  Most of the most popular songs on her Spotify are from that album, although nothing on her list cracks a million streams.  Top is "Quien Me La Paga" with 729k streams.
Great voice.  No clue what she is talking about.  But it sounds lovely.  The title apparently means "who's going to pay me?"  Fun vibe to the song though, I want to go dance in her kitchen and taste those beans.  Her second-most streamed tune is "Dembow Y Sexo," which, according to Google Translate, translates to "dembow and sex."  I LOVE DEMBOW AND SEX!  Ah, further research says that Dembow is a musical rhythm that originated in Jamaica and then became a popular part of reggaeton.  So there you go, this song is about a single musical rhythm and doing the dirty.  Like Frank Sinatra's old classic, "Trumpet Trills and Smoochin'."  663k streams.
Love the painting of the car in fast-motion.  Also, there are some English words sneaking into that track, unlike the last one.

Yeah, I could dance to these tunes.  They sound pretty good.  I doubt I'd go watch this, just not that appealing for me to watch something I can't understand at all, but it's catchy rhythm for sure.


No comments: