Tuesday, May 10, 2022

ACL 2022- Lineup is OUT!

 Let's GOOOOOO!

I'm a Chili Peppers for life guy, so the first moment of seeing this lineup has me psyched.  I get that some people might not love super great funk rock and silliness and amazing bass/guitar interplay, but they're just going to have to go watch something else that night while I jam out.

Of course, I've already received a bunch of texts from people who are disappointed.  I really should go back in my text threads and compile all of the announcements to see if there was ever - EVER - a time that the old dudes in my friend groups were ever fully satisfied with the lineup.  So entirely predictable.  THEY CAN'T JUST BRING THE BEST ARTISTS FROM YOUR COLLEGE YEARS!  IT WOULD BE BORING FOR 95% OF THE WORLD!

Now, I'm not into it up and down the board or anything.  Like, I would not have been able to tell you whether or not P!nk still existed, much less that she could be the #2 artist on a major music festival.  In my head, she's like Christina Aguilera or the Spice Girls, where she had a big run about the time that the original Charlie's Angels came out, but then hasn't been a think in 20 years.  (I'm sure other people would say the same about the Chilis.  Well, or the Chicks too.  I guess this is a lineup heavy on the legacy stuff!)

I don't know much about SZA, Flume, Diplo, or Zhu.  Never heard of Lil Durk.  Oliver Tree gets old really quickly to me.

BUT, Chilis, Chicks, Kacey is a great top three for me personally.  And then other rad things like Billy Strings, Paramore, Phoenix, Nathaniel Rateliff, Wallows, War on Drugs, Spoon, Goose, Japanese Breakfast, Manchester Orchestra, Wet Leg (weekend two only SUCKS!).  Those bands are freaking great.

I'm a little shocked at how quickly I stop knowing anything in the small type.  I feel like I work hard at keeping up with tunes, but after Wilderado and Joshua Ray Walker, I got nothing.

One other observation here - I wonder if the Astroworld disaster has influenced their lineup decisions.  I had thought for sure that Rage Against the Machine would be coming on their new reunion tour, before that tour was cancelled by COVID.  Now, this lineup has nothing that would inspire a rager of a pit.  I mean, some old dudes may bounce around for the Chilis, or maybe one of the other bands I don't know will end up being hardcore.  But no Rage, no Turnstile, no Travis Scott (or other similar rager rappers who try to hype the crowd into a frenzy).  In fact, now that I look here, rap is really under-represented.  Lil Nas X, Lil Durk, and then I don't see anything else that I immediately recognize as rap.  Absolutely none of the big rappers.  Interesting.


LET'S GET TO WORK!

No comments: