Monday, May 23, 2022

girlhouse

One Liner: Really good indie rock in the vein of Snail Mail or Soccer Mommy

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but bedroom pop and indie rock
Home: Nashville

Poster Position: 24

Weekend One Only.  Friday.

Thoughts: This is apparently a bedroom-pop band for a woman named Lauren Luiz (although it definitely sounds like she has a band in some of these tracks, and in that bottom video).  Here is her story of her first show: "I was playing an acoustic show at choir camp in high school and I forgot to tune my guitar before I went on stage so I had to do it last minute in front of the audience. There was a mom in the crowd that kept yelling at me that I should have done this before I went on and I told her “I realize that now.” It made tuning take a lot longer than it should have. I don’t remember what songs I played."  That mom sounds like a real bitch.

Searching Wikipedia for this band does not bring up this band, but instead brings up "a 2014 Canadian horror slasher film directed by Trevor Matthews and written by Nick Gordon. It stars Ali Cobrin playing a woman in an X-rated reality web series and Slaine as the psychopath who stalks her."  The rest of the movie's description also sounds terrible.  I will not watch this movie.

No albums, just a few EPs and singles scattered about since 2020.  Well, Spotify lists a single from 1996 called "a long december," but I have to assume that is someone else because this lady would have been like 2 in 1996.  Also, it is a cover of the Counting Crows.  Also, it sounds like this same singer, so maybe they just mis-dated it on Spotify?  Freaking great song, and the cover is pretty good.  It's got some squelchy guitar effects that make me think of Soccer Mommy, and when the song kicks in about 1:35 in, that part kinda rules.  Okay.  I'm digging it.
222k streams, and it ought to have more for sure.  Fucking thing, that video and the song just made me tear up.  Getting old is whack.  Also, I got some crappy news the other day about an old friend of mine, who is headed into hospice now, and so small things are definitely reaching down into the heart a little more swiftly and easily than normal.

The top song, "Concussion" has a Lana Del Rey flair.  4.2 million streams.  From the 2021 EP entitled the second ep.
I like the more guitar forward tunes in her lineup more, but that is a good one too.  Like, on that same EP, "happy now" is good stuff.  Snail Mail vibes.  Her most recent ep, 2022's the third ep (I'm sensing a trend here) collects a few of her older singles into a 6 song collection and includes the pleasurably named "facetime after sex."  Also, "paul blart mall cop."  But the top single from it is "cool guy," so we'll check that one out.  142k streams.
She does a pretty awesome job of making jenky DIY videos that are clever and kinda funny.  I love the people sitting in the background while he plays bocce.  Catchy tune too.

When this puppet started playing guitar, I laughed out loud.
I like that tune as well.  Goofy, cute, video that makes me happy.  I'm extremely glad that I just found this band.  I'd absolutely go check them out in person.

No comments: