Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Maude Latour

One Liner: Baby Lorde

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but its pop
Home: New York City

Poster Position: 15

Weekend One Only
.  Saturday.

Thoughts: Initial snap judgment - Lorde copycat.  She doesn't have her own Wikipedia entry, but her name pops up because she is apparently the daughter of Almar Latour, the CEO of Dow Jones and Company.  Which was such an odd fact it just made me bark out a laugh in my office.  I also super love that she is just going by her dope-ass name for her career.  No clever little stage name, just going with the grandma name and rocking it.

In fact, it feels like this poster is heavy with people's plain names.  I wonder if that is some sort of movement - people are tired of making up a band name and getting stuck with Diarrhea Planet or Rainbow Kitten Surprise, and so they're just doing their given name instead.

She is apparently also a student at Columbia University, which is kinda cool.  Growing up in NYC, she claims to have had a crazy high school experience because of the energy and diversity of living in the City.  But now she kind of idolizes the suburban life.  "I don’t know how to drive, and I have a totally idealized image of what it’s like to drive."  It's pretty awesome!  You should try it!  In this same article, she says that she was a Gwen Stefani, Lana Del Rey, and Lorde fan.  See, I can hear that!

No actual albums, just a bunch of singles and EPs.  "Ride My Bike" sounds like it was specifically made to be on a workout playlist, until the breakdown in the middle where it would break the mood.  But the pace and mood of the rest of the song, and being able to sing "runner's hiiiiiiiiiiighighhgiighhghhhhghh" is very empowering to the Peloton crowd.  But her top song, by a mile, is "One More Weekend," with 25.9 million streams.
Hear the Lorde?  Lyrically, it makes me think of Lucy Dacus at first as well, but the music is uninteresting to me.  Also, the drama of her lip syncing in the video and dancing spazztically is throwing me off.

I'll also give you her newest single.  This is "Trees."
Six views for that video.  Six.  Zero plays for the track on Spotify too, so I must have discovered it right when it was released.  Weird.  Again, I'm liking the lyrics more than I'm liking the tune or the delivery.  Catchy sounding, but I'm not sure I'll ever get behind singing the chorus about the trees are breathing so I know its you?

Feeling medium about her - on the one hand, seems like she can write well and sing well.  On the other hand it also seems like Dad might have opened some doors for her to release this out to the world.  None of these songs really light me up, but it's not bad.

No comments: