Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Teezo Touchdown

One Liner: Auto-tuned R&B oversharing terribleness

Wikipedia Genre: He has Wikipedia, but it doesn't list genre.  I'm calling it emo R&B
Home: Beaumont, Texas

Poster Position: 15

Weekend Two Only
.  Friday.

Thoughts:  If this guy wasn't a running back in college or something, I'm going to be deeply disappointed.  If his #1 song on Spotify sounds familiar, its because it is a Tyler, the Creator track from the Call Me If You Get Lost album.  After that collaboration (with 36 million streams), his best stream track only has 2 million.  And I think I know why - I was hoping for a rapper here, since the poster is so very bereft of good rap.  Instead, this is another singer guy who seems like he would be best used to sing a hook for a rapper, instead of performing entire emo R&B tunes.  Because I think that is how I'd describe this.  Emo R&B.  My face just literally turned up into a bitter beer face while listening to the top track.  "Social Cues."  2 million streams.  And I have no clue how or why.
Reminds me of that godawful guy I went to watch last year.  KennyHoopla.  Did anyone else go to two songs of that and feel like they had walked through a nightmare?  That dude couldn't sing worth a damn, and Autotune master here may have the same thing going on?  This is what I feel like I'm getting here.  I get it man, you have emotions.  We all have emotions.  You don't need to add AutoTune to them.  I'm going to guess right now that this is a TikTok thing.  Just the most plain and boring pop punk song with mediocre singing over the top.  Make it stop.

Real name is Aaron Thomas, and shockingly he's almost 30.  Expected 18 from that video.  His father was a DJ so he was exposed to a lot of genres as a kid, but he apparently settled on bad auto-tuned singing.  He originally worked under the names AyeTee and Teezo Suave, but Wikipedia says his videos "received little attention."  HAHA, here's a quote the Wikipedia page has about one of his 2020 singles: "About "SUCKA!", Pitchfork stated the song lacked "the ear for production, nimble flow switch-ups, or, well, talent.""  LOL.  Pitchfork keeps bringing the heat on this kid!  Also Wikipedia: "In June 2021, he featured on the song "RunItUp" with Tyler, the Creator, which Pitchfork called "unmemorable"."  Amazing.  And something I finally agree on with Pitchfork!

I'll give you his most recent track too, just so you get another sample.  It's not good.  "Handyman," with 332k streams.
I'm honestly fascinated by the YouTube comments.  Someone calls him the goat?  Someone says no other like you and is grateful to have discovered him?  Another says he is a huge inspiration?  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.  I guess there is always a fan of any type of music, but this is just bad stuff.

Sadly, nothing I'd read shows that he was ever a college running back.  So depressing.

No comments: