Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Charlotte Sands

 One Liner: Pop punk from the second-most-popular Charlotte on Spotify

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but this is some pop punk and pop pop and alt pop
Home: Nashville

Poster Position: 23

Weekend One Only.  Saturday.

Thoughts:  Not terribly far off from the pop rock of P!nk, but with a little harder edge and more punkiness.  I read a story about her that the jumping off point for her was at the beginning of the COVID lockdown, when her plans for a nationwide tour got scuttled with everyone else's.  Right around then, she posted "Dress," a song that responded "to conservative pundit Candace Owens and the negativity surrounding Harry Styles’ Vogue cover where he sported a Gucci ball gown."  It went viral on TikTok and now it is her top song by a long way.  26.4 million streams.
Yeah, that is a pretty solid song lyrically - I like the backstory for it for sure.  As a tune its just fine, but loving the way a guy wears a dress, and saying he looks so good you're annoyed, that is clever.  So, that song got her some notice and momentum and she then released her first EP - Special - in 2021.  That was followed by a 2022 "album" that only has seven songs (versus her six song EP) and "Dress" was on both.  She grew up in Massachusets, but moved to Nashville to do music two weeks after high school ended.  This ain't the music I expect to come out of Nashville.

Her 2020 single "I Don't Care" is her second biggest streamer with 8.1 million.
Sounds more like a Billie Eilish copycat thing, and I like it less.  After hearing that one, and generally seeing her blue hair and pop stuff, I was prepared to dislike all of this, but actually some of it has wormed its way into my heart.  "Every Guy Ever" is a pretty generic pop rock song with some drum machines thrown in for good measure, and yet I find myself bopping along to it like one of the good Olivia Rodrigo tunes.  I'll allow it.  "Bad Day" is another jump-along fun tune though, complete with a little dive into trap music at one point.

She also has a few songs with other bands - Underoath and Taking Back Sunday and The Maine - that are more like pop punk emo tunes.  She says that the inspiration for those EPs and albums were Kelly Clarkson, P!nk, Avril Lavigne, and Katy Perry.  For some reason, she lists Yungblud as a major inspiration and idol.  Maybe they'll do a collaboration this fall.

I'm in the maybe camp here - its not as bad as my knee jerk reaction wanted me to think, but she also has not entirely won me over.  May be a good one to take my girls to.

No comments: