Wednesday, June 8, 2022

glaive

One Liner: Awful electronic "hyperpop" rap thing

Wikipedia Genre: digicore, pop
Home: North Carolina.  He's still in high school.

Poster Position: 16

Weekend Two Only.  Friday.

Thoughts:  Super duper hate this.  Sorry, I'm sure they probably have a rabid fanbase who will be mad, but this new type of trash music is getting under my skin.  I wish I had a name for it: sort of pop punk, sort of rap, sort of whiny emo, with sloppy Auto-tuned vocals and completely uninteresting beats.  I just hate it.  Like Post Malone, Blink 182, Machine Gun Kelly, and a mumble rapper had a baby.

FYI, a glaive is a European polearm, consisting of a single-edged blade on the end of a pole.  The musician is not a long weapon, except that he is a weapon to good taste and musical decency.  This person is named Ash Blue Gutierrez.  Wikipedia says he posted "hyperpop" songs to Soundcloud during the pandemic that got his a cult following, and then he got signed to a label.  He's also 17.

I had to click on "digicore" on Wikipedia to see what in the world that means.  Also known as "hyperpop," it is an exaggerated take on pop music.  I don't see that here, this just sounds like he took the cheapest app he could buy on the app store and used their base beats to whine and moan over.  Wikipedia describes it as thus: "He has also been deemed a pioneer of the digicore genre, a more underground, largely teenage offshoot of hyperpop that uses elements of trap and emo rap with a DIY ethic. His music has included elements of Midwest emo, emo, glitch, pop punk, hip hop, trap, EDM, and indie rock."  Wow.

I can't wait to stop listening to this, so here are some songs.  "astrid" has 26 million streams.
without those words typed out on the screen, there is just no way you are understanding what he is smearing around with those garbage vocals.  "i wanna slam my head against the wall" is his number 2 streamer.  And no, I didn't just make up that title to describe my feelings.
please make it stop.  I'm sure I'll find out soon that my daughters love this guy or something, but I just absolutely detest this.  I will never watch this live.

No comments: