Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Charlotte Cardin (2022)

One Liner: Power-singing Canadian is the sixth most-popular Charlotte on Spotify

Wikipedia Genre: pop, electro, jazz (jazz?)
Home: Quebec

Poster Position: 17

Weekend One Only.  Friday.

Thoughts:  With two Charlotte's on the lineup, I was going to see which one was more popular by just typing in the name Charlotte into Spotify and seeing who popped up - Cardin or Sands.  Nope, neither!  Charlotte Adigery is apparently the top Charlotte for Spotify!  This one is the sixth most popular Charlotte if you go by the order of their names on Spotify.  And I think I hear why!  This is some Italics-singing pop girl stuff by a gal who looks like she could be a model.  She was also here in 2017, but I had no recollection of that at all.

First single was in 2015, followed by 2016's Big Boy EP, 2017's Main Girl EP, and then her only album, 2021's Phoenix.  She's Canadian - and hey! she started her career as a model at the age of 15.  I can spot 'em!  Prior to that, she was a top four finalist in a singing show up north called La Voix for the 2013 season.  More recently, she won some interesting awards: "Phoenix won the Felix Award for Anglophone Album of the Year at the 43rd FĂ©lix Awards. Cardin also won the awards for Anglophone Concert of the Year and Most Successful Artist Outside Quebec."  The Most Successful Artist Outside of Quebec really seems like it should have been someone a little more successful.  Like, Taylor Swift or Drake or something.  But congrats anyway!

Top streamer is from the 2017 EP - "Main Girl" - has 24.9 million streams.
Got that powerful, over-singing thing down.  But I will say that when the drums kicked in, that sounds pretty good.  But overall, I looked up after about two hours of these songs and said "God please no more," so that's not a great indication.  She also sings some of her songs in French, which was very confusing at first.  I thought her Autotune had gone so far that I couldn't even understand her words.

Then, the top track from her album is "Meaningless" with just over 17 million streams. 
Pretty snappy - definitely like it batter than most of the catalog.  After last year, when Tate McRae came to the Fest and I took my daughter over there, I can't help but think of artists like this and McRae where you go and just listen to a lady belt out music.  My 14 year old daughter's take on it was that is is "so awkward" to just stand there and listen to someone sing.  Which is obviously a messed up way of thinking about music fandom, but I can't get it out of my head now when I think of performers like this who are just going to go up there and try to do tiny little dance moves as they yelp over top of a drum track.  
"Phoenix" sounds like Miley Cyrus, she's going for that rough-edged vocal twang on that one.  "Anyone Who Loves Me" makes me think of Gaga.

I would prefer to not hear any more of this.

No comments: