Thursday, June 9, 2022

GAYLE

One Liner: Bad pop-rock singer with one huge kiss-off TikTok hit

Wikipedia Genre: pop rock, pop-punk, power pop
Home: Nashville (by way of Dallas)

Poster Position: 13

Weekend One Only.  Friday.

Thoughts: I can tell that I am aging out of the Festival world.  Feels like it's all dudes doing mumbly pop punk rap or ladies doing this oversinging pop girl voice stuff.  Also, this lady has the same song four times as her top four songs on Spotify.  And then twice more as 7 and 8 on her top ten list.  Here are their names: "abcdefu," "abcdefu (angrier)," "abc (the Wild Remix)," "abc (nicer)," "abcdefu (feat. Royal & the Serpent)," and "abcdefu (chill)."  Seems like maybe she needs to write some new songs?

As I listen to the songs that are not slight modifications of that one silly song mentioned above, I'm actually kind of reminded of what I know of P!nk.  I don't honestly know much P!nk music, but this voice combined with extremely generic pop rock tunes makes me conflate the two.

Taylor Gayle Rutherford is a 17 year old from Dallas.  She moved to Nashville for her career.  Her single is that one song (obviously) and it charted up to #1 in a handful of countries.  The tune apparently went viral on TikTok, which is how she blew up and needed to create 384 copies of the tune.  The algorithm must be fed!

No real albums, just some singles starting in 2020 and then one 2022 EP - a study of the human experience volume one.  The top single is definitely the "abcdefu," with 665.5 million streams.
Keeping up the tradition of some bratty kiss off song.  Ugh.  I'm sure my girls both like this idiotic song.  But obviously, this song is going to be a HUGE draw at the Festival for the kids to jump around to and yell the chorus in each others faces.  I get it.  But a not-so-hot take - this will be the moment for this artist and in a few years no one will remember that she somehow made it onto the top half of a major festival's poster.

Her second most streamed is a newer single called "ur just horny."  14.5 million streams.
Yeah, there is that sound that makes me think she is like P!nk.  I'm sure I am wrong, being that I know one single P!nk song, but it is the comparison I hear.  SO MUCH BREATHING!!!  Very much am glad to move on from this artist as well.  I would not go watch her.

No comments: