Tuesday, October 4, 2022

ACL 2022: Friday, Weekend One: Schedule and Thoughts

YES!  It's finally happening!  I freaking love putting together my schedule.  Running back through all 100+ of the artists I have listened to.  Remembering the ones that were cool, figuring out how to navigate the stages, activating my true inner (and outer, I guess, since this is pretty public) music nerd.


I keep hearing people, especially young people, say that the lineup is bad or weak or whatever.  But after pushing through the full lineup of bands, I've got to disagree.  It reminds me a little bit of the 2015 lineup, where the headliners weren't my favorite thing, but the next few lines had some top notch stuff (Alabama Shakes, Sturgill Simpson, Tame Impala, The Decemberists, TV On the Radio, Gary Clark Jr., Father John Misty).  And so again, while many of those headliners are not my top choices for what I'd want to see, I'm digging a bunch of those second-tier bands who will make up the core of the weekend for me.  We're going to have a great time!


If you can bail on work, the early Friday time at ACL is so great.  I usually try to go eat a good lunch with my out of town buddy - impress him with something awesome and Austin-y that he can't get in the park.  I'm still mad that Freedman's closed - that place ruled.


A few prelude thoughts before the hour-by-hour thoughts:

  • The comments for each band are those "One Liner" things that I added to my reviews. It helps me to remember who they are (sometimes) and provides some detail on the kind of music they play.  Every once in a while they make me giggle too.
    • Honestly, sometimes those one liners are freaking hard to write.  Some of this music is super crazy forgettable and I just can't come up with anything useful to write.  "uhhh, another R&B lady with a pretty voice?"
  • I've made each band name a link so that you can go read the full review and listen to some tunes if you are unswayed by the One Liner.
  • The first column in each box is the stage where the band is playing (in case you thought I was just playing a weird word association game).
  • No more VRBO/HomeAway stage?  Damn!  I had a hookup last year to go sidestage there!
  • Honestly, not a lot of hard choices to be made on this day.  One or two, but nothing that truly breaks my heart.

A playlist of the tunes for my selections...


Here we go:


12:30/1:00
Honda
Asleep at the Wheel: Every year's favorite western swing purveyors
Kiddie (12:30)
Elena Moon Park: Kiddie music with a Hawaiian and East Asian bent
American Express:
Tamino: If Jeff Buckley gave middle eastern flair to the downtempo Radiohead songs



I doubt I'll make it to the park this early, but at the same time, both of these non-Kiddie options would be enjoyable.  Asleep at the Wheel is a classic starter.  Tamino makes really good alternative rock stuff with a middle eastern flair.  No wrong choice there.

1:45
Miller Lite
Nation of Language: Brooklyn indie rockers channeling the 80's
BMI
Girlhouse: Really good indie rock in the vein of Snail Mail or Soccer Mommy
Elijah Wolf: a bedroom pop guy turned into a pretty great folk rock dud
Barton Springs
Cassandra Jenkins: Lovely, gentle singer of gently comfortable indie folk/rock
Tito's (1:30)
Thebrosfresh: Remember Jamie Foxx's sweet solo music career?
T-Mobile (2:00)
ZAI1K: Auto-tuned rapping and singing with a viral hit on TikTok

You could have offered me $50 to recall anything at all about ZAI1K as I started to write up this schedule.  No freaking clue.  He really sticks with you!  This is actually a tough hour.  Nation was probably my favorite of all of the 80's redux bands on this poster, and the Cassandra Jenkins music is super beautiful.  That being said, I like Girlhouse a lot - I've been going back to that and listening more because it is just good stuff.

[EDIT] Well, too bad!  Because Girlhouse is no longer on the poster, so no such luck!  New entry Elijah Wolf is really good though, but I'm sad that they pulled my favorite thing for this hour!  I'd probably choose Wolf in this slot now.

2:30
Honda
Kevin Morby: Chilled out folky rock greatness
Tito’s Tent
Cory HenryKeyboard prodigy playing fun funk and critically acclaimed jazz
Kiddie (2:30)
School of Rock: Kids jamming cover tunes based on what they learned at private lessons
American Express
Noah Cyrus: Miley's little sister

Bummer.  Honestly, all three of the real things in this hour are very good.  I will go see Kevin Morby, because I have been wanting to catch his music for a while, but I had planned on seeing Noah when she was announced.  And beyond those two, Cory Henry is an extremely talented dude - if you feel like rolling the dice I bet his show would be really good.

3:15
Miller Lite
Gayle: Bad pop-rock singer with one huge kiss-off TikTok hit
BMI
Lilyisthatyou: Overly sexualized pop garbage for the TikTok age
Barton Springs
Gabriels: Throwback soul bops with co-signs from Sir Elton and Harry Styles
T-Mobile
Charlotte Cardin: Power-singing Canadian is the sixth most-popular Charlotte on Spotify

Weak hour - none of those just sucked me in with a need to see them live.  I'd go with the Gabriels though, out of these.  Can you tell I think TikTok is crappy for finding music?  ;)

4:00
Honda
Jazmine Sullivan: Fantastic voice used for R&B powers
Tito’s Tent
Genesis Owusu: Ghana/Aussie rapper/singer with a little funky flair
Kiddie (4:30)
Q Brothers: Possibly not the worst Kiddie Limits band, if you believe Joseph
American Express
Zach Bryan: Excellent low-key singer-songwriter Americana

Easy choice for me to go see Zach Bryan, although I think Owusu is a surprisingly solid rapper.

5:00
Miller Lite
Arlo Parks: British indie pop singer with a lovely voice and smooth delivery
BMI
Sarah & the Sundays: Danceable and fun indie rock from our own backyard!
Barton Springs
L'Imperatrice: Funky French groovy pop
T-Mobile
Benee: More indie pop that sounds like lesser Billie Eilish



Two fun choices here, I don't feel like I could go wrong with either Sarah & the Sundays or L'Imperatrice.  Both seem like a good time to bop around to for a little while.  And honestly, I like Arlo Parks more and more as time goes by.  She's pretty slick!

6:00
Honda
James Blake: Falsetto-singing, glitchy-electronic R&B Brit
Tito’s Tent
Big Gigantic: Electronic hip hop and jazz with lots of guest vocalists
American Express
Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats: Soul revival masterminds who will hurt you with their live show

Nate is the easy call here.  I didn't care for Big Gigantic at all.

7:00
Miller Lite
Omar Apollo: Great singer with pop music in English and Spanish
Barton Springs
Carly Rae Jepsen: Call Me Maybe!  And more pop action since then apparently!
T-Mobile
Billy Strings: Absolutely kickass bluegrass with a jammy side by killer musicians

I'm sure that Jepsen will be a fun show that many people will appreciate, but I just want to revel in the excellence that is Billy Strings.  I'm actually surprised that Jepsen isn't the opener for Pink.  That makes a lot of sense in my head.

HEADLINERS:
Honda
SZA: Alternative R&B gal
Tito's
Lady Bird
The Chicks: One of the finest country bands of all time

It's too bad that someone else isn't the headliner opposite the Chicks, since I know I'll be seeing them for Weekend Two with the wife.  So, it would have been cool if this was Paramore or Kacey Musgraves.  Oh well, I expect that my friend will likely want to see the Chicks so we'll end up seeing them in this slot.

No comments: