Tuesday, October 4, 2022

ACL 2022: Sunday, Weekend One: Schedule and Thoughts

Sunday baby!  Sunday can be tough - if you've been going hard for two straight days already, it can be hard to get up and moving with the same verve and excitement as the past two days.  And that is especially true when the schedule is packed and you need to get there for something first thing.  A few years back, we were there right when the gates opened so that we could catch cleopatrick's set.  Which was soooooo hot.  And supremely awesome as well.  They rule.  I might just have to pull one of those days again here to see if Taipei Houston is as good as I think it could be...  


A few prelude thoughts for Sunday:

  • The comments for each band are those "One Liner" things that I added to my reviews. It helps me to remember who they are (sometimes) and provides some detail on the kind of music they play.  Every once in a while they make me giggle too.
    • Honestly, sometimes those one liners are freaking hard to write.  Some of this music is super crazy forgettable and I just can't come up with anything useful to write.  "uhhh, another R&B lady with a pretty voice?"
  • WHAT I GOT YOU GOTTA GIVE IT TO YO MAMA
  • I've made each band name a link so that you can go read the full review and listen to some tunes if you are unswayed by the One Liner.
  • This may be the most packed day for bands that I actually want to be able to see.  Lots of the best headliners and almost headliners are set up for this day, as I'd love to see the Chilis, Kacey, Spoon, Goose, Marcus Mumford, Paramore, and Japanese Breakfast, but I won't be able to do it all!
  • Is it weird to anyone else that there is only one gospel band playing on Sunday?  Shouldn't the point of naming a handful of gospel bands to the lineup be that they'll play for a Sunday morning crowd of sinners?

Playlist!

Here we go:

11:45

Miller Lite
Happie Hoffman: The Cantorial Soloist for Temple Israel in Memphis (?!?!)
BMI
Chicocurlyhead: English/Spanish mix of generic rap and R&B
Barton Springs
Luna Luna: Awful bedroom pop schlock from Dallas
 Tito's    
Wesley Bray and the Disciples of Joy: Gospel
T-Mobile   
Danielle Ponder: Killer-voiced former lawyer channels Aretha and Yola

Ponder, for sure.  No contest here.  Not that it matters, I'll still be eating lunch somewhere awesome when these folks take the stage.  I need to think of a new exciting place for football watching, good food, and good beer.  We've done Pluckers a few times and it is uninspiring.  Billy's on Burnet and Lavaca Street Bar were both pretty good.  I need to do some research on other good spots down south for football and beer that feel cooler than Pluckers but also chill.

I still think it is really weird that Hoffman is on the poster at all.  I won't see her, but I kind of hope that she blows people away and is the talk of the Fest.  Also, if you have sinner mightily during Friday and Saturday - SINNER - then you can go get right with God at Wesley Bray.

12:30/12:45
Honda
Taipei Houston: Sons of Metallica's Lars Ulrich, doing a Royal Blood-esque two man blast
Tito's (12:45)
Primo the Alien: 80's synth wave love from a local gal
Kiddie
School of Rock: Kids jamming cover tunes based on what they learned at private lessons
American Express
Glove: 80's mopey new wave redux tunes

Taipei Houston is not only a good curiosity, because of their famous dad, but also more up my alley than mommy's little angel butchering Stairway to Heaven or more 80's regurgitation.  Although 12:30 sure seems early on a Sunday!  I wish they could have gotten a later slot.

1:15/1:45
Miller Lite
Jake Wesley Rogers: Pretty piano pop from a dude with a major change in his look
BMI
Darkbird: Local synth rock done with a good dose of 80's flair
Tito's (1:45)
Buffalo Nichols: Rootsy bluesman with all the right notes.
T-Mobile
DEHD: Surf-y indie rock that sounds like lost 80's New Wave
Barton SpringsCaleb de Casper: local cross-dressing pop singer with zero bangers

Nothing in this section just lights me up, but also none of these are truly bad choices.  I have a friend who likes DEHD a lot, so I may peek over there.  If not that, then I'd probably angle for Darkbird.  But pretty open competition here.

[EDIT] they've now added in Caleb De Casper into this slot, at the Barton Springs stage.  Or maybe I just missed him when I first created this, but now he is added in there.  Although that doesn't help this hour, because he does not interest me at all.

2:00
Honda
Larry June: Chilled out rapper from the Bay Area
Kiddie (2:30)
SaulPaul: Acoustic hip hop (but also real beats) for the Kiddies
American Express
Goth Babe: Indie DIY synth guy who looks like he should be modeling for Patagonia.



Larry June was my automatic response, I think he is really good.  With so few rappers on the bill this year, you've got to take what you can get here.  But also, the live show video that I watched from Goth Babe was much more enjoyable and lively than the studio (van?) music that he has released.  So I could be drawn either way here.

3:00
Miller Lite
BIA: Lady rapper who leans in to her name's Lil Jon relation.
BMI
Isaac Dunbar: Alternative pop tunes that I can barely remember even as he is still playing.
Barton Springs
Muna: HAIM-ish indie pop and 80's redux schlock
T-Mobile
Pinkpantheress:   electro pop with a squeaky Brit   
Titos                              Claire Rosinkranz: More bedroom pop with a big TikTok tune.

Tough hour for my kids - I bet they would enjoy all five of these.  Seriously, I could see my girls enjoying BIA, Pinkpantheress, or Rosinkranz, and maybe even Muna - too bad they are all at the same time.  I think I'd probably lean towards Muna, with a medium-level interest in BIA.

4:00
Honda
Spoon: Austin's finest rock and roll band
Tito’s Tent
Magdalena Bay: More synth pop that loves the 80's and the Eilish bedroom pop sound.
American Express
Oliver Tree: Weird ass rapper with terrible hair and bad sunglasses



A million times over I'd choose Spoon here.  Not only because they are great and I need to see them play live, but also because Oliver Tree is awful and Magdalena is not good.  Seriously, I know that the world loves some attention-grabbing weirdness - purposefully ugly clothes and haircut, dopey but catchy lyrics - a whole freaky package.  But I can't stand Tree.  I'm sure he'll be the top artist in the Chronicle's review of the day.

5:00
Miller Lite
Big Wild: Electronic chill music for your next terrible mixtape
BMI
Eric Tessmer: Guitar hero blues rock tunes from the best guitarist in Austin in 2017-2018
Barton Springs
The Marias: dime store Billie Eilish bedroom pop with that "Hush" song.
T-Mobile
Japanese Breakfast: Great melodic indie rock to go with thoughts of sushi pancakes



Japanese Breakfast is my choice, although I'd be interested to see Tessmer just because he is some level of Austin music royalty and a guitar slinger who would be fun to watch.  But Breakfast is great and I've never gotten to see her before.  I could also be talked into the Marias, but I also think I'd just be sad the whole time.

6:00
Honda
6lack: Atlanta rapper and crooner who I like despite my pre-conceptions
Tito’s Tent
Robert Glasper: Killer piano player who collaborates well
American Express
Paramore: Pop punk and emo heroes coming back for another round

Paramore is my choice for sure, but I genuinely think I would enjoy either of the other two choices.  I'd bet that Glasper rips up that little Tito's tent, as there is no way you could contain that much power into a tent.  And "slack" is better than I expected he would be.

7:00
Miller Lite
Zhu: EDM that is more clean, house music for dancing not hard thrashing
Barton Springs
Goose: Jam band goofy goodness
T-Mobile
Marcus Mumford: Mumford without the Sons

This is a bummer.  I'd really like to check out Goose, but I'd also dig the solo stuff of Mumford.  They've been playing one of Mumford's new tunes on the radio recently - I think called "Grace" - and it sounds great.  If pressured to choose right now, I'd want Goose to try out a new thing, but I'm bummed.  Wish one of those was on Saturday night against the headliners over there.

HEADLINERS:
Honda (8:15)
Kacey Musgraves: Bad ass country chick with legit lyrics and cool sound
Tito's
American Express
Red Hot Chili Peppers: One of the greatest rock bands ever (IMO), and boasts the prime time funk of Flea.

Another bummer, this is definitely the best lineup day, and while I have seen both of these artists multiple times, I'd never miss out on another chance to see the Chilis again.  And I love Spacey Kacey.  I'd absolutely love to see her play again.  So you really can't go wrong here, I just have to see the Chilis more.  And while I know they are going to lean on recent songs, I so very much wish that they'd dive deep into the catalog for me.  I should tweet at Flea.

No comments: