Monday, October 3, 2022

Josh Fudge

One Liner: The Josh Fudge Universe

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but bedroom pop
Home:  Oklahoma City

Poster Position: recent addition

Weekend Two Only.  Saturday.

Thoughts:  Man!  I'm mad that Michigander is off of the lineup card!  That sucks.  His songs kept coming up in my playlist and I'd be grooving them, realizing how much I like his stuff.  Jerkface!  Well, instead, we get the Fudge man here to take his place.  First blush is that this was a bad trade, as his top song has way too much synthesizer in it.  He is making me think of that Dayglow dude.

He was supposed to go to Oklahoma State on a full ride for engineering, but then the pandemic struck and he went for it in the music world.  Scary, but kind of cool.

It sounds like he pretty much does everything for this music - writing, performing, producing, etc.  Just a one man synthing crew.  When he's not making music, he apparently likes rock climbing and Smash Bros.  Some of these tunes get a little funky, and I appreciate that.  "FEEL LIKE" has the most streams, and probably for good reason, because it's more fleshed out and funky.  4.9 million streams.
That video is awesomely jenky.  But those bass licks are legit.  I dig that.  Here is what my man said in response to a question about the future: "In the future, I will only continue to refine my creative abilities. My project will only get more fleshed out as I continue to write and work on the visual world of the Josh Fudge universe. I have already made so much progress this year, and will only progress more as time goes on. I see myself going on world tours and playing Madison Square Garden in the future, and I am determined to get there.”  The Josh Fudge Universe.  

He performs with a four piece band, who I assume are now also part of the Josh Fudge Universe, and they got to play SXSW this year.  He told another interviewer that a taco truck in Austin changed his life - I wish he would have said the name of it!  I just dug in to his Twitter for a while to hunt down the taco truck info, and I have to say this guy seems really likeable and cool.  No information on the taco truck though, sadly.

I wanted to just be angry at him, for replacing Michigander, but honestly I have been enjoying these tunes.  Lots of synth, but also lots of groove.  Shocking amount of music he has released in just two years.  His first EP was 2020's Flora, then a bunch of singles, then 2021's Fun Times and 2022's TECHNICOLOR.  Some tunes must have been featured on a Spotify playlist or something, because he's got almost 5 million on one song from the new album, right after a song with 1,952 streams.  That is weird.  Anyhoo, let's do one of the early songs for a second tune on here.  This is "When She's Gone," with 2.5 million streams.
When you really think about an artist like this, it is pretty wild.  Like, he's playing those synth licks, he's doing those bass lines, he's choosing that Casio-ass beat, while also writing it all and singing.  Impressive when you really consider all that he's doing here.  I like the newer tune better, but that one is solid too.

I won't even be there on Saturday to see this, but it's pretty solid!  Let's all join the Josh Fudge Universe!!!



No comments: