Tuesday, October 4, 2022

ACL 2022: Sunday, Weekend Two: Schedule and Thoughts

Sunday baby!  Sunday can be tough - if you've been going hard for two straight days already, it can be hard to get up and moving with the same verve and excitement as the past two days.  And that is especially true when the schedule is packed and you need to get there for something first thing.  A few years back, we were there right when the gates opened so that we could catch cleopatrick's set.  Which was soooooo hot.  And supremely awesome as well.  They rule.  I might just have to pull one of those days again here to see if Taipei Houston is as good as I think it could be...  


A few prelude thoughts for Sunday:

  • The comments for each band are those "One Liner" things that I added to my reviews. It helps me to remember who they are (sometimes) and provides some detail on the kind of music they play.  Every once in a while they make me giggle too.
    • Honestly, sometimes those one liners are freaking hard to write.  Some of this music is super crazy forgettable and I just can't come up with anything useful to write.  "uhhh, another R&B lady with a pretty voice?"
  • WHAT I GOT YOU GOTTA GIVE IT TO YO MAMA
  • I've made each band name a link so that you can go read the full review and listen to some tunes if you are unswayed by the One Liner.
  • This may be the most packed day for bands that I actually want to be able to see.  Lots of the best headliners and almost headliners are set up for this day, as I'd love to see the Chilis, Kacey, Spoon, Goose, Marcus Mumford, Paramore, and Japanese Breakfast, but I won't be able to do it all!
  • Is it weird to anyone else that there is only one gospel band playing on Sunday?  Shouldn't the point of naming a handful of gospel bands to the lineup be that they'll play for a Sunday morning crowd of sinners?

Playlist!


Here we go:

11:45

Miller Lite
Flora & Fawna: this just made me re-watch that scene in Napoleon Dynamite where Napoleon first meets LaFawnda, and it is amazing
BMI
Siena LigginsEntirely forgettable pop R&B singing
Barton Springs
Pleasure Venom: Breakneck local punk thing
 Tito's    
The Spiritualettes: Gospel
T-Mobile   
Danielle Ponder: Killer-voiced former lawyer channels Aretha and Yola

Ponder, for sure.  I liked the Pleasure Venom thing too, but I really admire her voice and sound.  

They just added Flora & Fawna, so they might be super good, but it will take a me a minute to go write up a review now that I have noticed them.

12:30/12:45
Honda
Taipei Houston: Sons of Metallica's Lars Ulrich, doing a Royal Blood-esque two man blast
Tito's (12:45)
Me ND Adam: Trashwave from some local dudes
Kiddie (12:30)
Alphabet Rockers: Positive kiddie raps
American Express
Glove: 80's mopey new wave redux tunes

Taipei Houston is not only a good curiosity, because of their famous dad, but also more up my alley than the awful trashwave thing or more 80's regurgitation.  Although 12:30 sure seems early on a Sunday!  I wish they could have gotten a later slot.

1:15
Miller Lite
Jake Wesley Rogers: Pretty piano pop from a dude with a major change in his look
BMI
Joshua Ray Walker: "baby-faced, 6XL guitar hero with a Dwight Yoakum voice."
Barton Springs
Tom Odell: Brit piano-playing singer with one mega hit (and a sound kinda like the New Radicals)
T-Mobile
DEHD: Surf-y indie rock that sounds like lost 80's New Wave


This is a really solid hour here in weekend two.  First choice is Joshua Ray Walker, I really want to check him out.  Great songwriter and excellent voice.  But even if country isn't your thing, both Rogers and Odell have a good sound and nice voices.  I have a friend who likes DEHD a lot, so I may peek over there.  But pretty open competition here.

2:00
Honda
Larry June: Chilled out rapper from the Bay Area
Tito's (1:45)
Buffalo Nichols: Rootsy bluesman with all the right notes
American Express
Yungblud: Dance rock slash Machine Gun Kelly thing with lyrics built to shock.



Larry June was my automatic response, I think he is really good.  With so few rappers on the bill this year, you've got to take what you can get here.  But also, I think Buffalo is talented as well.  No thanks on Yungblud.  I've tried him before and was unimpressed.  Unless you are very into seeing a man's tongue.  That part was impressive, just how many times he felt the need to stick it out.

3:00
Miller Lite (3:15)
BIA: Lady rapper who leans in to her name's Lil Jon relation.
BMI
Urban Heat: Local group making dark synth pop for the goth kids who want more 80's
Barton Springs
Faye Webster: Americana singing photographer leaning towards R&B sometimes
T-Mobile
Pinkpantheress:   electro pop with a squeaky Brit   
Titos (2:45)                             Wilderado: Genuinely great rock and roll AND a cool name. 

Wilderado for sure.  I'm sad they aren't playing weekend one.  But also, Faye Webster has a really great, gentle sound, and BIA could be fun if you are in to the brash lady rapper thing.

4:00
Honda
Spoon: Austin's finest rock and roll band
Tito’s Tent
Magdalena Bay: More synth pop that loves the 80's and the Eilish bedroom pop sound.
American Express
Oliver Tree: Weird ass rapper with terrible hair and bad sunglasses



A million times over I'd choose Spoon here.  Not only because they are great and I need to see them play live, but also because Oliver Tree is awful and Magdalena is not good.  Seriously, I know that the world loves some attention-grabbing weirdness - purposefully ugly clothes and haircut, dopey but catchy lyrics - a whole freaky package.  But I can't stand Tree.  I'm sure he'll be the top artist in the Chronicle's review of the day.

5:00
Miller Lite
Big Wild: Electronic chill music for your next terrible mixtape
BMI
Jackson Dean: Nothin' but Country from the kid who went viral with the National Anthem
Barton Springs
The Marias: dime store Billie Eilish bedroom pop with that "Hush" song.
T-Mobile
Japanese Breakfast: Great melodic indie rock to go with thoughts of sushi pancakes



Japanese Breakfast is my choice.  Breakfast is great and I've never gotten to see her before.  I could also be talked into the Marias, but I also think I'd just be sad the whole time.

6:00
Honda
James Blake: Falsetto-singing, glitchy-electronic R&B Brit
Tito’s Tent
Robert Glasper: Killer piano player who collaborates well
American Express
Paramore: Pop punk and emo heroes coming back for another round

Paramore is my choice for sure, but I genuinely think I would enjoy Glasper as he rips up that little Tito's tent, as there is no way you could contain that much power into a tent.  Nope on Blake for me.

7:00
Miller Lite
Zhu: EDM that is more clean, house music for dancing not hard thrashing
Barton Springs
Goose: Jam band goofy goodness
T-Mobile
Marcus Mumford: Mumford without the Sons

This is a bummer.  I'd really like to check out Goose, but I'd also dig the solo stuff of Mumford.  They've been playing one of Mumford's new tunes on the radio recently - I think called "Grace" - and it sounds great.  If pressured to choose right now, I'd want Goose to try out a new thing, but I'm bummed.  Wish one of those was on Saturday night against the headliners over there.

HEADLINERS:
Honda (8:15)
Kacey Musgraves: Bad ass country chick with legit lyrics and cool sound
Tito's
American Express
Red Hot Chili Peppers: One of the greatest rock bands ever (IMO), and boasts the prime time funk of Flea.

Another bummer, this is definitely the best lineup day, and while I have seen both of these artists multiple times, I'd never miss out on another chance to see the Chilis again.  And I love Spacey Kacey.  I'd absolutely love to see her play again.  So you really can't go wrong here, I just have to see the Chilis more.  And while I know they are going to lean on recent songs, I so very much wish that they'd dive deep into the catalog for me.  I should tweet at Flea.

No comments: