Monday, April 10, 2023

Two Step Inn 2023: Sunday Schedule and Thoughts

Personal preferences, I think Saturday looks like the stronger day to me.  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

A few prelude thoughts for this who may be unfamiliar with this blog:

  • The comments for each band are those "One Liner" things that I added to my reviews. It helps me to remember who they are (sometimes) and provides some detail on the kind of music they play.  Every once in a while they make me giggle too.
  • I've made each band name a link so that you can go read the full review and listen to some tunes if you are unswayed by the One Liner.

Here we go:

And the times are pretty staggered, in a way that ACL is not, so some of these times will get wonky.  Just trying to present it in a way to show what choices you need to make...

12:00/12:15/12:45/1:00
Country Curious (12:00)
Kathryn Legendre: Local C3 employee getting to take the stage with some classic country flavor
Big River (12:15)Pillbox Patti: Drum machines and well-told stories from the swamps of north Florida
Showdeo (1:00)
Kaitlin Butts: Excellent story-telling Americana
Country Curious (12:45)
Madeline Edwards: Powerful voice and questionably country pop music

I'd lean towards the more traditional Americana sound of these four ladies.

1:00/ 1:45 / 2:00
Big River (1:00)
Drake Milligan: Rockin' country with a young ex-Elvis impersonator
Showdeo (1:45)
Little Texas: Heavy on the harmonies and the rock guitar, "God Blessed Texas."
Country Curious (2:00)
Elvie Shane: Ex-American Idol guy representing all the stepdads everywhere!

I think Drake Milligan is likely the best actual artist in this group, but I also lean towards the cheesy schlock of seeing the Little Texas guys tear it up.

3:00/ 3:15 / 3:30
Big River (3:30)
Mavis Staples: A Queen of classic R&B somehow on this poster
Showdeo (3)
Pam Tillis: The chameleon child of Mel Tillis doing country, soft rock, blues, and more
Country Curious (3:15)    
Hailey Whitters: A mix of old-school Taylor Swift, Natalie Maines, and Kacey Musgraves

I'd like to see all three of these.  Maybe we will just do that and see a smidge of each from the back of the crowd.

4:30 / 5:00
Big River (5)Clay Walker: Probably my favorite of the 90's rockin' Nashville stars on this poster
Showdeo (4:30)
Lonestar: The cheesiest cheese on the poster, but also a few good classics
Country Curious (4:30)
Blanco Brown: More of that drum machine/trap/country.  Is this rap?  What am I doing?

Clay Walker is one of the reasons I am going to this festival, so I'm seeing him for sure.  Maybe will do a little Lonestar beforehand...

5:45/ 6:00
Showdeo (6)
Tracy ByrdHigh Cheese rating 90's Nashville country and a DWI PSA
Country Curious (5:45)
Paul Cauthen: Local-ish outlaw country style guy with humor

My initial instinct would be to go see Cauthen again, but Byrd has a surprisingly large number of good old songs that I bet the wife would enjoy.

6:45/ 7:15/ 7:30
Big River (6:45)
Wynonna Judd: [for some reason, I never reviewed her.  I wonder if she was a late addition to the poster, or if I just spaced it?]
Showdeo (7:30)
John Michael Montgomery: [same here!  What happened?  I think I thought this was the Dust on the Bottle guy?  Whoops!]
Country Curious (6)
Diplo: Electronic kingpin with generally uninteresting songs


I am totally pissed at myself for not doing these reviews - I just fired up John Michael Montgomery and he is the "Grundy County Auction" guy!  ALSO, "Life's a Dance," "I Swear," and some other good ones  Dangit!

8:30: Tyler Childers.  Great lyricist making fine Americana and country music.

I'm looking forward to seeing him again.  I wonder how large the crowd is going to be at this Festival.  Like, do I need to skip the show beforehand to be able to see the guy?  Or will it be fine to cruise up close around 8?

No comments: