Monday, April 17, 2023

Predicting ACL 2023: Artificial Intelligence edition

We are getting dangerously close to the big announcement day!  I'm excited, as always, because no matter how many people act disappointed and let down by the lineup, there are ALWAYS gems and good bits and pieces that will make for a super-fun weekend of music.

You might know that I enjoy predicting the lineup!  And a new thought I had the other day was to see if ChatGPT could figure out the lineup for me.  I haven't played all that much with the AI text chat function stuff, mainly just goofed around with it for an afternoon at work to write a happy hour e-mail that included a Willie Nelson Christmas song (that was surprisingly solid!).  But, if I understand what this thing can do, I ought to be able to feed it some parameters - bands currently on tour, no shows between October 6 and October 15, but more shows after October 15, and get a list of probable bands.  Right?  Makes sense in my head at least.

I did that by hand one time, except I was just hunting for bands that played in nearby places during the week in between our weekends.  Like the Chili's playing Mexico City the Wednesday between the weekends, or something.  I just tried that again, and see Shania Twain playing San Antonio on Thursday, October 12 (but I already predicted her!), Chris Stapleton playing in Corpus on the same night (I already said he would not come back yet).  Hmmm.  Sting plays a show in Rogers, AR on 10/12...  But otherwise a lot of weird stuff - will All American Rejects be here?  Pile?  Snarky Puppy? Rina Sawayama? Avenged Sevenfold? Sorta doubt it.

Sadly, I don't think the technology is ready for this project yet (although it really feels perfect).  Just seems like sending the robots out to scour all of the websites and tour announcements for me would be pretty simple, but maybe not.  ChatGPT gave me a massively mealy-mouthed response that pretty much told me to go do the work myself.  Do you remember that scene from Willy Wonka?  I loved that movie as a kid.  

As he starts to sweat, it always cracked me up.  But yes, pretty much the ChatGPT told me how to do it by hand: "As a language model, I don't have access to real-time information on current tours and concerts, but I can suggest some approaches you can take to find this information. [which is bullshit, if you can access the Internet, then can't you see the current information?] ... Another option is to use a search engine to look up the tour schedules for individual bands or artists. You can search for the band or artist's name along with keywords such as "tour dates" or "concert schedule" to find relevant information. Once you have a list of bands that do not have concerts scheduled for the relevant dates, you can check their upcoming tour schedules to see if they have any shows scheduled after October 15."  Oh, no shit?  Really?  Awesome. 

So, I tried using Bing's AI chat function, and it at least tried to answer the question.  Not sure if this is worth a damn, but I just wanted to play along anyway because maybe the AI will be so good next year that I can go back and laugh at how bad it was this year.  Here is the list:

  • Coldplay.  Definitely got the question wrong, as I said that the band had to be on tour in the U.S. right now.  The Coldplay website shows them as being on tour starting May 17, and in Portugal to kick off.  BUT, they come back to the U.S. at the end of September and their last published show is October 1 in L.A.  Sooooo, they could definitely be waiting to announce a pair of shows in Austin at the start of October.  Funny thing, my older sister really hates Coldplay.  I think that is funny because I think they are great and can't imagine hating them.  Sure, why not!?  I've probably predicted that they would come thirty times and it has always been wrong.  Burn me again, boys!
  • Elton John.  Yeah, Bing, my dude is also not on tour in the US right now.  Dork.  His tour ends in July in South Africa, and he already came through the US on this tour, so I don't see it happening.  No.
  • Bruno Mars.  I don't think he is really on tour, looks like doing a residency in Vegas, and then a few other shows.  The last item on his calendar is Bourbon and Beyond in Louisville, KY on Sept. 17.  That website is powered by Front Gate Tickets, just like ACL's, so I guess there could be a connection there.  Although, like Coldplay, Mars has nothing else announced after that 9/17 date, and part of my input to the AI was to tell it that they needed to have shows announced after the October gap for ACL.  Stupid machine.  This doesn't feel awful as a potential headliner, even if I don't think he has any new music.  Still just the rad Silk Sonic disc.  Seems possible, but I'm not going to predict it yet.
  • Maroon 5.  Gross.  [Michael Scott face gif]  Are they really still touring?  WHY WONT YOU DIE?  Their tour is in Europe this summer (nothing right now, dumbass Bing) and then a Vegas residency until a Fest in Brazil on Sept. 7.  I know ACL has gotten more poppy over time, but please just no.
  • Guns N’ Roses.  No.  I see no reason to bring them back again.  Also, freaking Bing, you suck.  They have shows on the dates I said they couldn't!  Houston on Sept. 28, so that would seem promising, except they also play PowerTrip in CA the weekend of 10/6 to 10/8.  Literally I told Bing those dates had to be empty!  Idiot!
  • Katy Perry.  Okay, then maybe this is all just dumb.  She is not on tour.  She is doing a Vegas residency, and it includes shows on 10/6, 10/7, 10/13, and 10/14.  Bing still sucks, folks!  Don't buy in to the hype!
  • KISS.  I'm not checking the rest of these.  Bing is a moron.
  • Rod Stewart
  • Taylor Swift
  • Iron Maiden.  Also at PowerTrip!  Dummy!
  • Rammstein
  • Def Leppard
  • Billy Joel
  • Imagine Dragons
  • Ed Sheeran
  • Sting.  What?  This popped up above in my short-lived by-hand research.  I love classic Sting.  But no, he plays Austin on 9/17 at the Moody Center.
  • The Weeknd
  • Snoop Dogg
  • Eric Clapton
  • Scorpions
This really could have been awesome.  Like, you would think that the AI stuff could work this way: a program to scrape the available information on the Internet about concert schedules, aggregate it into one database/list, and then apply queries to it.  That would be too much to do by hand, but it seems like using the computer overlords to handle it would have worked well!  Oh well.  Just to be stubborn, I'll predict Coldplay again [Charlie Brown missing the football gif]

No comments: