Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Shaed

One Liner: That one Apple commercial song, no not that one, yeah, that one.

Wikipedia Genre: electropop, indie pop
Home: Washington, D.C.

Poster Position: Level 3 (19)
Weekend One Only.  

Saturday.

Thoughts:  In my predictions post for 2019, I included this as one of my guesses, because they had a top ten song on Shazam.  I used to try to guess ACL artists off of Shazam numbers.  it was a simpler time, okay!  TikTok was still called musically!  Leave me alone!  Anyway, here is what I said then: 
  • SHAED.  Normally, I'd say what the hell is this and no, but they are playing Lolla, so I bet they are coming to Austin as well.  What if this is one of the bands that supports my theory from last year that the radio stations get notice of the lineup and start playing the artists early to hype people up about the poster?  Makes sense, people have never heard this, but Austin radio is just starting to pimp it, so they are using Shazam to find the artist, but this song isn't in the top ten nationally because only Austin radio stations are pimping it.  I'VE SOLVED THE ALGORITHM!!! Anyway, I'll go with yes.
I was WRONG.  This thing did not show up.  Now, because I am old and lame, I had to look up how to pronounce their band name.  According to this sorta terrifying video, it is pronounced like you said "shade" with a mouthful of magnetic Rs in your craw.  But this is that band that has the song they used in the Apple macbook TV commercial, right?  Yes, indeed.  212.1 million streams.
Kinda cool, minimalist track before the action kicks in.  Lotta whistles!  And, in case you care:
How freaking cool, to be an otherwise unknown band with no streams, to go to being in a simple little commercial like that and becoming the kind of band that plays Lolla and ACL.  Their top three songs on Spotify are all three this song.  the regular version, one with a ZAYN, and then one with a Jauz.  Those tracks, collectively, have like 800 million streams!  And then their next most streamed tune has just over 5 million.  What a let-down.  

And I also get that let-down, because this really isn't my bag.  It is fine!  Nothing offensive or awful here!  But just kind of generic EDM-ish music with the lady singing over the top.  If it weren't for the fact that every other song is another version of "Trampoline," I would not have noticed this music all day.

The band is made up of two brothers who started their first band in middle school, a rock band called Upslide.  It was good enough that they actually got a management company, and by high school had formed another band called Trust Fall and started touring the country.  They met the lead singer at a club in DC and the three of them started another band called Walking Sticks, which later changed its name to Shaed.  Since then, they blew up with that ad campaign song, and the singer married one of the brothers.  Good story!  Their second-most streamed song is from 2021's High Dive, called "No Other Way."
Starts to rip off Fleetwood Mac for a hot second, and then just turns into electropop.  Again, it's fine.  If you love electropop, then this is your jam!  

Doubt I'd watch it.

No comments: