Friday, July 14, 2023

Kathryn Legendre (ACL 2023)

One Liner: Local C3 employee getting to take the stage with some classic country flavor

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but I'd call this Country

Home: Austin!

Poster Position: Level 5 (25)
Weekend Two Only.
Sunday.

Thoughts:  I reviewed her not long ago, because she also appeared on the poster for the Two Step Inn festival that just happened in April.  Very classic country sound - heavy on the steel guitar, fiddles, etc.  And that is a good thing in this case.  One album and two EPs - 2013's Old Soul, 2016's Don't Give a Damn EP, 2019's Making It Up EP - so not a lot of output over the years.  Very few streams for those tunes either (I mean, a ton more than I have!) but her top song is a 2020 single called "One Long Sad Song."  437k streams, and her only one with more than 100k.
Bluesy country tune.  Feels like something that would have been made in Austin, like someone who plays at Antone's one night and then the Spoke the next.  Let's dig in to who she is...  

Oh, wow.  She actually works at C3!  That is pretty sweet - they run the Fest and she gets a spot on stage!  She is the "Festival Marketing Manager + Production Lead" at C3 Presents.  So, she lives in Austin and is fully immersed in the music scene, and works a normal job in addition to pushing out some nice tunes.  Cool!  She's been able to play a few other festivals like Shaky Knees in the past, which is also cool to me.  I wish I was a side-hustle musician!

Her other top tune is from that 2019 EP, called "Sit Here & Cry."  71k streams.
There is that classic sound I was talking about.  The rim shots with the drums, the plucked bass line, the steel guitar moaning in the background, the intermittent fiddle bits.  Reminds me a little bit of an old Kelly Willis song.

Yeah, sure, I'd go watch this happen live, if I'm there that early...

No comments: