Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Charlotte Adigery & Bolis Pupul

One Liner:  Wacky electronica with clever and insightful lyrics

Wikipedia Genre:  Electronica, avant-pop, R&B, World, Experimental
Home: Belgium

Poster Position: 3 (16)  (kind of a high poster position for a 3:15 on Sunday artist)
Weekend One Only.
Sunday at 3:15

Thoughts:  Adigery is a Belgian musician who is also known as WWWater.  The desciption of things about her on Wikipedia just confused me.  "She is of Martinican and Guadeloupean descent. Her family background is Nigerian Yoruban via the Martinique slave trade. Adigéry attended college in Hasselt, where she studied music.  In 2016, Adigéry contributed vocals to "The Best Thing" a song on the 2016 Belgica film soundtrack that was scored by David and Stephen Dewaele, aka Soulwax or 2ManyDJs."  So many words with so many unknown meanings.

Her original releases were on her own, but since 2017 she has been working with Bolis Pupul, a human being whose name I apparently cannot spell on the first try.  He is the producer, and is apparently also from Belgium.  He apparently draws very realistic penises, and invited folks to DM him for an example.  Nope.  In one interview, he speaks out against racist atrocities that Leopold II did in the Congo during colonialization.  I guess old Leo was a Belgian bad guy, I've never heard of him.  Pupul is also the child of someone else I have never heard of, a "well-known Belgian musician, comedian and cartoonist known as Kamagurka."

"HAHA" is freaking awesome.  So weird, and yet I can't help but grin as I listen to it.  Some of the lyrics are confusing, in that they are in French (or apparently also Creole?) and so I don't know what is happening.  "Blenda" is clever - "go back to your country where you belong, Siri can you tell me where I belong?"  Like, an imminently danceable song, and yet it is about being xenophobic.  Not a normal thing, but entertaining.  The top track is from their 2022 album Topical Dancer, called "Ceci n'est pas un cliche," with 3.4 million streams.

Translated, the title means this is not a cliche, and then the lyrics of the song recount every cliche in pop music - "you're cold as ice" or "hey Mr. DJ" or "You're my baby tonight, I wanna hold you real tight."  These dudes are clever for sure.  The music itself is a generic EDM beat that could have been an LCD Soundsystem jab, which maybe is the point, the same way that the lyrics are.  In fact, I hear LCD on several of these songs.  I'mma give you "HAHA" as well, just because I like it so much.  2.4 million streams.

Freaking weird, man!  But also, catchy despite being a really basic-seeming beat!  Probabloy not going to go see this, but I could see it being a jam in the Tito's Tent!

No comments: