Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Katy Kirby

One Liner:  Excellent indie rock that has drawn me in for a long time

Wikipedia Genre:  Her Wikipedia doesn't list a genre, but I'll call it indie rock
Home: Nashville

Poster Position: 5 (27) 
Weekend One Only.
Sunday at Noon. (that is a butt slot for her)

Thoughts:  This is good stuff.  There must be something inside of me that really likes when someone sounds like Carole King, even though I don't especially love Carole King herself.  Weird.  According to Wikipedia, she grew up in Spicewood (suburb of Austin, where my older brother works these days), where she was homeschooled and listened primarily to worship music.  She went off to Nashville to attend the Christian school Belmont University, and apparently is based there now.  I compare her to Carole King, but this is more of an indie rock thing that is very much centered on guitar and vocals.  

One album - 2021's Cool Dry Place - and it sounds really great.  Edges into rock and roll at times, but frequently keeps the gear shifted down into a more chilled singer/songwriter zone.  Not a ton of streams on Spotify, but a few tunes crack a million.  "Juniper" has just over 6 million.

The first touchstone I smell there is Courtney Barnett - clever lyrics delivered over winding little guitar tunes.  I've only had green chartreuse, maybe I need to try the yellow that she is using in that cocktail.  Maybe it will be less harsh.  The difference between weeds and herbs, are flowers."  Lovely.

She cites her worship music immersion as a kid with her ability to create great melodies that are catchy and easy to learn.  You know, modern evangelical music is supposed to be the kind of stuff where a crowd can pick up the tune and sing along, without sheet music, by the second chorus.  And that is kind of what you are getting here, at least from the catchy tunefulness of this.  Another thing I hear in here is Big Thief - the title track to her album is the one giving me that feel right now.

She just released a new tune two days ago called "Cubic Zirconia" that I dig as well.  8k streams in two days doesn't seem so bad for someone I've never heard of until three hours ago.

Crazy to think of how it works now for an artist trying to make stuff happen.  She released a full on music video the same day as her new single.  She probably had to send a bunch of tweets too - yep, just checked and she had a bunch of tweets about the new single, and then re-posted everyone else who tweeted about it.  Seems exhausting.  I'm sure it is.  I am not trying to bag on her at all for hustling out there, I just find it fascinating to consider what it takes to "make it" these days.  Even a great song doesn't get you squat without getting it out there.

I really like it!  I sort of doubt that I will be on hand at the park for a noon show on Sunday, but this is really nice music that I will keep around.

No comments: