Wednesday, September 13, 2023

CVC

One Liner:  Absolutely fun times throwing back to the 60's rock and then riding up on My Morning Jacket's coattails

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but indie rock, soul rock, psych rock, boogieliciousness
Home: Wales

Poster Position: 4 (20)
Weekend Two Only.
Saturday at 12:30

Thoughts:  Church Village Collective, but I kept conflating it somewhere in between PVC pipe and CVS pharmacy.  Easier to think of it by the full name.  They are a pile of dudes from Wales, and I'm always a fan of Welsh things.  I have a friend whose wife is Welsh, and I find great pleasure in trying to comprehend the guttural sounds that the Welsh people use to make words.  Like, she texted me happy birthday and it said "penblwydd hapus."  My buddy said that using the road signs there is a brutal experience.  But beautiful place and nice folks!

But the band is trying to bring back the chilled vibes of the 60's rock and roll scene, that sort of soft-focus, AM-Gold, Laurel Canyon, peaceandlove vibe, but then they also bring some funk to the party like the way that My Morning Jacket did with that Evil Urges album.  The town where they are from is actually called Church Village (although I'm sure on their signs it is called Ggggyghhlm Up).  After just a few tunes, I actually wish that they had a later slot in the day!  And both weekends!  "Mademoiselle" brings some Santana-partying-at-the-Disco vibes.

"Sophie" is the top track, the hit from their only album, 2023's Get Real.  749k streams.

My man looks like the Narcos actor.  YOu hear that 60's vibe in there?  All those damn ooh, lalala's?  I dig it.  But I dig the second-biggest streamer even more, this is the MMJ-sounding one.  "Good Morning Vietnam" comes on like some Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, then the grooooooooves right into a Big Holiday funkin' all up in your pants.  Also, his voice sounds kinda like Eddie Money in there.

I am entirely ready to find this band and hear them blast that tune directly into my eyeballs.  So much energy and top-shelf jamaliciousness.  I won't be there for the noon shift on second Sunday, but this is legit.

No comments: