Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Grace Sorensen

One Liner:  Local R&B sounds that are a little too whispery for my taste

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but R&B, hip hop, neo-soul
Home: Austin!

Poster Position: 4 (22) 
Weekend One Only.
Sunday at 1:30.

Thoughts:  Local gal who was apparently a dancer before shifting over into the music world.  She cut her first track in Atlanta, but then came back home to Austin to make music at a studio called Orb.  It is out in Oak Hill, in between the two new HEBs at 1826 and Nutty Brown.  It is wild to me how much that area has filled in - all the random ranchland that was there as a kid is now just stacked up with homes and shopping.  An article I read about Grace says that she's been working with local folks as backup on their tracks BLK ODYSSY and Magna Carda), and then had the honor of opening for Diana Ross at the Circuit of the Americas.  Pretty sweet.  Most of the little articles I can find about her just parrot those same tidbits of info.

No albums.  7 singles and one EP, starting up in 2020.  So, it doesn't take long to run through the whole catalog.  it is fine.  Sometimes a little too whispery, and I'd rather hear a singer belt any day than hears them get all whispy and whiny.  But her top track doesn't devolve into that as much, and while I am assuming those are just samples that sound like Timbaland, it got me excited for a second.  "Digits."  625k streams.

2022 single.  Did you hear that little "ahhh" that sounds like Timbaland?  Dang!  Straight R&B sounds right there, and her voice is generally strong.  The whole vibe there is good.  Those earrings are distractingly large.  Freaking hula hoops, man.  Let's also dive into her most recent single to get a feel for her current direction.  "Miss Majesty" was released in June 2023 and is more R&B action.  24k streams.

Just a little too whispery for me - you know how Billie Eilish does that crap?  I find it offputting when I know the girl can really sing.  Yeah, I'm not going to this show, but she's talented and I'm glad an Austin gal is getting on the ACL stage.

No comments: