Friday, September 10, 2021

Allison Ponthier

One Liner: Kacey Musgrave vibes on some indie/country tunes.

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia - indie, country
Home: Dallas area, now NYC

Poster Position: 18
Weekend One Only.
Sunday at 12:15 at the T-Mobile Stage

Thoughts:  I know this really means nothing in the overall scheme of things, but it is always interesting to start typing in the Spotify search bar to see who the most famous person is as you type each letter.  Shockingly, this was the result when I just typed in Allison.  Figured for sure there would have been a bigger Allison in the Spotify catalog.  But maybe this is skewed to my taste, because here is what I get:
a - Alice in Chains
al - Alan Jackson
all - All Time Low
alli - Alison Wonderland (which is weird, because it doesn't have two "l"s)
allis - same
alliso - this gal
allison - this gal
I know - you're deeply fascinated.  WHATEVER, this is my blog, yo!

Anyway, even though I thought I had never heard of her, I've actually listened to her voice (and very much enjoyed it) many times.  She is featured on the Lord Huron song "I Lied," which is lovely and showcases her great voice really well.

As for her own music, she just has one EP and a few singles - the EP was just released here in 2021.  Has kind of a country sound, a little bit confessional Taylor Swiftian on the top single.  "Faking My Own Death" has 321k streams.
I'd also compare that to Kasey Musgraves - a simple backing and her own style of lyrics and pretty voice on the top.  Pretty tune.  

Also, just for your reference, the pronunciation of the last name is “pon-tee-ay”  Originally from the Dallas area, she went to North Texas for a time until dropping out to move to NYC and give the music a go.  Which is too bad - come back to Texas!  but, it sounds like moving to New York and starting her life allowed her to come out and find a girlfriend, so it was probably the right spot for her.

"Hell Is a Crowded Room" gave me some The Sundays vibes.  I loved that band back in the day.  "Harshest Critic" is a truth bomb.  "Cowboy" is her top streamer at 724k - and sounds like an autobiography of her change from Texas to NY.
Another really nice tune - definitely feeling the Musgraves comparisons now - that totally sounds like something that could have been on Golden Hour.

I'd definitely go check this out.  if she were playing the Cactus or something, I'd love to go see it in a small room.  As for the show at noon on Sunday, I likely won't be around.  But she's good!

No comments: