Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Mattiel

One Liner: Tasty, raw rock that sounds a little like White Stripes, a little like Nico, and very classic.

Wikipedia Genre:  Pop rock
Home: Atlanta

Poster Position: Late Addition

Day: Sunday at 1:45 on the BMI Stage
Weekend Two Only.

Thoughts:  First thought from the first song is that this is something that the main character in a Wes Anderson movie would play as he read some esoteric book in a room with pink walls and white trim.  Feels like they'll start singing in french at any time.  BUT they cover the Beasties' "Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun" and I'm smitten.  Super awesome.

Overall, the tunes are up and down.  Some are really fun - such as the aforementioned cover, or "Food for Thought" has a good bouncy fun groove.  "Fives and Tens" is straight up a White Stripes song with Meg singing.  Then "Silver Pillbox" sounds like Nico and Velvet Underground.  Actually a lot of these make me think of Nico.  "Rescue You" made me think of Southern Culture on the Skids.  That band ruled.

Two albums - 2017's Mattiel and 2019's Satis Factory.  Four tracks from each are in their top ten on Spotify, with two other singles filling out the rest.  The top track is "Count Your Blessings," and that is also the one that I said feels like it belongs in a Wes Anderson flick.  3.6 million streams.
See?  The organ and background singing seems very dated and French.  That is from the older album.

I absolutely thought that this band was going to be from France or Germany or Switzerland or something.  NOPE.  Somehow, they are from Atlanta.  How deliciously weird.  Their Wikipedia says that Jack White has championed them online - SEE?  I told you some of these sounded like White Stripes.  Haha, and then Rolling Stone compared the lead singer's voice to Nico.  I'm a damn genius.

Second-most streamed is one that appears to have been included on an Outer Banks episode.  Why are so many of the artists on this poster also used in that show?  "Populonia."  1.2 million streams.
Nice groove feel from that bassline.  Making me think of the Beatles.  That track is from the newer disc.  Kind of wish they had new stuff instead of only those two discs.  Overall, I liked these tunes.  Sometimes gets a little drone-y for me (I'm not a lover of Velvet Underground, despite that being a very unwelcome take among most music lovers).  I'd go check this out though.  Earlier I had figured that this hour would go to KennyHoopla, but now I might be swayed to go see these guys do their weirdo stuff instead.

No comments: