Sunday, September 12, 2021

Noga Erez

One Liner: Dime store Billie Eilish

Wikipedia Genre: Electro-pop, EDM
Home: Tel Aviv, Israel

Poster Position: 11
Both Weekends.
Sunday at 1:45pm on the VRBO Stage.

Thoughts:  Not what I expected.  With the name and the photo on her Spotify page, I figured I'd be launching into yet another pop singer or R&B girl, instead this is sort of rap - oh no, wait, I know this girl.  She has a song I've heard on the radio that I 100% thought was Billie Eilish.  This is the dime store Billie Eilish person!

"YOU SO DONE" has 3.9 million streams.  And it totally sounds like something from that old Billie Eilish album.
So, how'd you break your spine when you were 20?  Oh, making a music video?  Great plan!  Other than the absolute spinal wreckage it would cause, that looks kind of fun to get rag-dolled around by that machine.  Kind of a cool song, the ominous beat works.

The interesting thing is that is not her top single - I figured it would be for sure.  Her top track is called "End of the Road."  5.1 million streams.
Another cool toy for her to use in the video.  The treadmill cube!  Doesn't seem nearly as fun as the spine smasher 2000 though.  Don't love the song though.  "VIEWS" sounds like she's going for dime store Gorillaz.

She's got two albums - 2017's Off the Radar (when she's blonde) and 2021's KIDS.  Both of those popular tracks are from KIDS.  The older album is wild electro pop -  the off-kilter "Dance While You Shoot"  is wild for sure.   She Israeli, originally from Tel Aviv.  Her Wikipedia says she served as a soldier in an Israeli Defense Force military band.  Why do they need a soldier in their band?  Wouldn't it be more useful to have her serve as the guitarist or something?

I feel like I was rude in my One Liner up above, but it made me laugh, so I'm going to leave it there.  She's better than just a dime store Billie Eilish.  I find myself really enjoying the old album of weirdo pop music.  It's not Bjork by any means, because that would be the highest of high praise, but it is definitely weird ass, adventurous music that keeps my attention.  WHich is a big deal these days...

I mean, I'd probably go watch Blink 182 Hoopla instead, but I could see this show being fun anyway.

No comments: