Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Superfonicos (2021)

One Liner: Funky afro-funk from south of the border

Wikipedia Genre: None, Colombian Funk and Caribe Soul
Home: Austin!

Poster Position: Late Addition
Day: Sunday at 3:30
Weekend Two Only.

Thoughts: They were last at the Festival in 2018, so yet another repeat artists for this year's poster.  Back then, they only had one song available on Spotify, so I had to make some assumptions about the band as a whole, but it sounds like 15 guys getting exceedingly funky in Spanish.  "Rio Negro" is the tune, and it actually jams.  You're not going to find me seeking out Afro-Colombian music, but this is funky and wild and pretty fun.  197k streams on Spotify.


"Suelta" has some guitar fire going on in there at the start and I dig it.  Honestly, I'd been listening all afternoon and this is the best of the Spanish-language artists on the poster so far.  Funky and fun and bouncy and groovy.  "Rio Negro" is a jam.

BUT!  There is also a Tiny Desk.  How I love the Tiny Desk.  Give me all the Tiny Desks.  WAIT!  No, there is not a Tiny Desk.  Instead, there is this band's entry to the Tiny Desk people, hoping to be selected.  DAMMIT ALL TO HELL!

Their studio song that you can hear on Spotify is miles better than that.  I wouldn't have picked them to do a Tiny Desk from that either.

I really dig these guys.  I've kept the music on long after I should have switched over to someone else.  It's purely fun music, even if I have no clue what they are saying.  I may end up at Cautious Clay, but I also may try to talk the family into seeing these guys tear it up.

No comments: