Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Samantha Sanchez

One Liner: Spanish-language pop

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, Spanish pop?
Home: Miami

Poster Position: Late Addition

Day: Saturday at 3:20 on the BMI Stage
Weekend Two Only.

Thoughts:  Does it feel like we've had more than normal artists who sign in Spanish this year?  I'm sure that is a wonderful development that shows the Festival's commitment to diversity, but it also leaves me with about ten less artists that I am going to see.  Probably there are folks who would like even more of these artists to be added to the bill, but it is just hard for me to get excited about a show that I can't understand.

This is apparently not the Samantha Sanchez who goes by Sammi (I hope?) and is instead the 20-year-old Miami-based Spanish-Cuban singer with over 1 million followers on social media who is something called a Cybersmile ambassador.

Her top track is "No Quiero Na," which google thinks translates to "I don't Want Na."  So helpful.  587k streams.
Huh.  Even the Ford Focus commercial beforehand was in Spanish.  Kind of electro-pop?  Not my thing even it were in English.  Her other top song has 607k streams and is more of a rap with a long hook?  This is "2050."
Also not really my thing - even if I understood what she was saying.  

I hope all of the people who want to hear this love this show.  I'll be at AG Club jumping around with the youths.


No comments: