Monday, December 15, 2014

Quick Hits, Vol. 9 (Stalley, Wildcat Apollo, OK Go, Ben Howard, She & Him)

I have already made my love for Kodaline obvious, but their song All I Want was used in The Fault in Our Stars, and it made me sad and hopeful and *almost* teary once again.  Such a good song.

Stalley - Ohio.  I recall listening to this dude a few years ago, can't recall why but think that I had read about this huge dude rapping with Rick Ross about his love for Ohio.  He's still real excited about Ohio.  Jackin' Chevys bites the Boyz in da 'Hood, but the video shows him going out to Compton and hanging out with lots of people with Eazy E memorabilia in their house, so maybe this was a respect thing?
Stalley uses excellent beats.  Little of the flavor-of-the-month stuff, just classic trunk rattlers.  I don't find a YouTube video for it, but go listen to "Free," which is a soul-tastic, Ohio Players-sampling banger.  "Problems" is solid with some good story-telling action.  "One More Shot" is money - his current top song on Spotify (likely because of the Rick Ross cameo).  And who out there still have the bad ass balls to include De La Soul in their raps?  This guy.  Solid album.

Wildcat Apollo - Wildcat Apollo.  Indie rock in the vein of softer Cults and Liz Phair.  I wanted to say Sleater-Kinney, but that isn't true because this band is much gentler and less screamy.  They are apparently from Austin according to the radio people who told me about the band, but could really be from anywhere.  Maybe even mid-90's Britain influence as well.  The drummer makes me think of Blur and Teenage Bandwagon.  Some trippy stuff on here as well.  I could only find a live version of The Colorado, but I dig this song:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz4khdqyozs  (sorry, YouTube is being annoying with links again).
Fuzzed out and awesome.

OK Go - Hungry Ghosts.  These guys are definitely more famous for their excellent music videos than for their actual music.  You can spend multiple hours dropping down the rabbit hole of their videos on YouTube.  Here is the most popular one I found, with over 45 million views, for This Too Shall Pass:

The new album is similar stuff, well crafted harmonies and pop/rock music.  Their initial album (OK Go) with its single Get Over It was damn fine pop rock as well.  Of the songs on this album, I think Writings on the Wall is my favorite one.

Ben Howard - I Forget Where We Were.  I literally have had two different people walk in to my office today and say it is chilled day in here.  This music is super chilled and relaxing.  Howard's voice is smooth and makes for a really great sound on these tracks.  Nice album, even if nothing very exciting for me on here.

She & Him - Classics.  Speaking of super chilled, this is an awesome album of throw-back action.  Ever since Zooey Deschanel sang in the shower in "Elf," I've thought she has a magical voice.  This disc treads no new ground but is a beautiful little nugget of harmony and lush arrangements that I never hear unless listening to the old school Christmas station on Pandora.  Good stuff.


No comments: