Monday, November 16, 2015

Bruce Robison - Tom's Tabooley - November 1, 2015

We got to go see Bruce Robison play this really cool FREE show, at an odd, but also very cool venue, on a random Sunday night earlier this month.  I went to a Bruce and Kelly show for my birthday this year, so I have already generally discussed my love for the Bruce experience.  But this show was really something else.  Felt like I had stepped back in time or something.  Extremely stripped down, this was just Bruce and his bandmates, doing some originals, some covers, and generally enjoying themselves on stage.
The place (Tom's Tabooley) is a little restaurant that has apparently been on Guadalupe for 20 years, right in that little shopping center where El Patio and Antone's Record shop are.  I'd never noticed it in my life.  But the music venue side of the place is awesome and relaxed with a random assortment of tables, chairs, couches, and loungers.  Velvet (looking, I didn't go feel them) curtains up behind the band and a tiny stage up front.  Very intimate, very cool vibe.
There were maybe 30 people there for the show, and although we (of course) came to the first show that wasn't BYOB anymore, it was a really fun night of great and free music.  If he is still doing these Sunday night shows, you should go.

No comments: