Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Quick Hits, Vol. 54 (Migos, The Revivalists, Bully, Teenage Time Wasters, Four Tet)

I'm lucky I saved up a handful of these I did during the run up to ACL, as work is kicking my tail this week.  The other thing I want to make sure I mention right now - Adele's "Hello."  Damn great song. The wife noted how absolutely effortless her voice sounds - so true.  She kills it without breaking a sweat.  On to the other reviews of less amazing stuff.

Migos - Yung Rich Nation.  I've become a rap grampa, man.  This has the same kind of sound as the Young Thug and Rich Homie Quan and the other Atlanta guys, and I just can't get behind it. Skittering and disjointed, I feel like they're messing with me.  Just kind of randomly yelling things, every once in a while deigning to provide a cohesive flow, but generally sounding like they are just having fun bouncing off the walls with nothing to say. The "Migos Origin" is pretty cool, in that he actually tells a story and flows some lyrics, but then they go back to random "BLOUW! SKEEEEERT! WOAH! YAAAH!" hollers.  Like the next song, "Spray the Champagne," which is just truly idiotic.  The most popular track, per Spotify, is "One Time," which I present here for your knowledge and maybe enjoyment?
That video makes me want to vomit.  Too bad I didn't stop listening to this album after one time.  I think I'd live longer.

The Revivalists - Men Amongst Mountains.  So, I think I've already disclosed this fact, but my friend Jason is related to the pedal steel player of this band, and so I have a slanted view of their music.  They played an official aftershow of ACL two years ago (although they were not on the ACL bill, which should be remedied soon, right?) and played a really fun, high energy show of roots rock with a blast of horns and a really charismatic lead singer. Oh, and the pedal steel guy is pretty bad ass too.
Like prior albums, this is another disc of positive-sounding rock that borders on a jam session while staying solid rock.  I think the opening track, "Keep Going," is probably the hit from the album.
Live version but you get the fun and positive vibe.  Hit up "All in the Family" if you want another jam like that.  Good album, even better live band.  Check them out if you get the chance.

Bully - Fells Like.  This is the kind of music that is better in short bursts than over the course of an entire album.  Scream-y grunge with a lady singer that reminds me of Hole.  If these songs were on a mix tape, or played on the radio one-off, I think I'd dig it.  Here is the most popular, called "Trying," which deserves to be the most popular, as it is actually really good.
"I Remember" sounds more like a Sonic Youth tune.  But listening to this entire album a few times in a row makes my head melt.  I need to just save a few tracks to jam.

Teenage Time Killers - Greatest Hits, Vol. 1.  This is a "supergroup" made up of a bunch of people I've never heard of plus Dave Grohl.  It is metal, and I don't like it.  I've heard the first three songs many times while listening to other albums, before switching to something else I actually want to hear, but I just forced myself to do the whole thing, and no thanks.  20 songs of screaming, over OK jams behind them.

Four Tet - Morning / Evening.  People are weird.  This is a two song long album where each song is 20+ minutes long.  Atmospheric electronic music with lyrics in a foreign tongue.  I'm going with Indian music?  So that would be Hindi?  Criminy, just tried to confirm that and the Indian continent is chock full of about a billion languages.  We'll go with Hindi. This first song is kind of cool, super chill, I like it during this Hindi part of the first song, but then it turns into the Space Odyssey and is less cool.  I'll never listen to it again, but I like it. Second song is not nearly as good.

No comments: