Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Quick Hits, No. 59 (Foals, Ultimate Painting, Halsey, FIDLAR)

Foals - What Went Down.  This is some good British rock and roll.  Although, in yet another sign that I am aging out of being able to understand what the hell is going on in the world, here is the list of "genres" that Wikipedia gives for this band:
  • Indie rock 
  • alternative rock 
  • math rock 
  • art rock 
  • dance-punk 
  • post-rock 
  • post-britpop
What in the everloving hell does any of that mean?  "Math Rock."  Someone just said "Math Rock."  Which makes me think of the end of Revenge of the Nerds when they are playing that sweet song complete with super racist gong strikes.  And guess what, Wikipedia has an entire article dedicated to that genre, which describes the sound as "characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), counterpoint, odd time signatures, angular melodies, and extended, often dissonant, chords."  Riiiight.  Because math, a very structured system, usually means atypical and dissonant.   You just made that stuff up, man.  I'm going to write a Wiki post about the new genre of music called Fiction Rock, and claim that loads of bands are way into it.

Anyway, I digress.  "Mountain at my Gates" appears to be the top song, but "Birch Tree," a poppier, dance-happy tune, is the one I like the most.

Funky stuff, right there.  Sounds great.  The whole album keeps up a good sound too - its not one of these that gives you a few good ones at the start and then tapers off into garbage.  Check it out.

Ultimate Painting - Green Lanes.  This is enjoyable music.  Like a less pop version of that Real Estate album I loved so much last year.  This is two dudes from the U.K., playing laconic, relaxed indie pop that reflects a heavy influence from the Velvets and that style of low wattage, shaggy pop from 4 decades ago. This album has been in my New Stuff playlist for months, so I've heard it a bunch in between listening to all of the ACL bands, but it is really nice and simple.  Especially on a rainy day like today, this is just right for me to enjoy.

Here is the most listened-to track from this album, "(I've Got the) Sanctioned Blues," with about 186k spins.
I feel like some bands, regardless of their skill and sound, are just never going to break out because their band name is too weird or forgettable.  This is one of those.  This is the kind of music that is going to show up on a Wes Anderson soundtrack, people will be into it for a few months, and then later some nerd at a trivia game will be the only who recalls that Ultimate Painting sang "Kodiak."

Halsey - BADLANDS.  I checked this gal out for ACL this year, and wasn't terribly into it. Her cred with me was definitely not improved by reading the portion of the website saying: "I write songs about sex and being sad." Ugh, that is terrible.  But, if you put that behind you and listen to this album, I'm actually impressed.  This is enjoyable electronic pop with a few good hits like "New Americana," "Castle," and "Colors."  Here is "New Americana."

Her stage at ACL this year was packed - people are into it - and with that song as the lead-off single from the album, I can see why.  Solid hook, great sing-along-ability, strong voice. Even some homage to "Juicy" in there.  While this type of music isn't normally my thing, and I crapped on her for the ACL preview, I'm into this one.

FIDLAR - Too.  FIDLAR was a late addition to the ACL 2015 lineup, so I listened to their tunes that were available on Spotify before this full length album was released.  It is exciting, scrum-punk skate jams, and this album is even better than those early tracks.  "40oz. on Repeat" will get stuck in your head after one listen, but I've jammed this whole thing (mostly quick hit sub-3-minute tunes) about ten times by now, and I'm on board all the way.  "40oz." is their current most popular track on Spotify.
The lead singer apparently kicked a bad heroin/meth/alcohol addiction before they made this album, and you can hear it some in there tunes, like "Sober," where he sings about life sucking when you are sober.  Roger that, buddy.  But this is good stuff.

No comments: