Friday, November 6, 2015

Quick Hits, Vol. 55, The Attack of the M's!! (Meek Mill, Method Man, Metz, Mac Miller)

Meek Mill - Dreams Worth Mote Than Money.  This guy first came onto my radar when Rick Ross signed him to his label (maybach music, maybach music, hahahahahaha, ruuuungh!) and put out the Dreams & Nightmares album.  I listened a few times, and thought it was terrible.  He keeps all of his raps at a measured shout, just in this highly annoying range where the tone is just a touch too high to be normal.  Sounds like the Swedish Chef if he made English raps instead of saying "fur-de-burrr" all the time.  It is still terrible on this album.  However, the saving grace of this album is great beats and solid guest spots.  Nicki Minaj, Drake, Rick Ross, hell, even the Weeknd, all have good turns on this album that are significantly better than Meek Mill's Swedish Chef flow.
R.I.C.O., featuring Drake.  And Drake is in rap-mode, which is his preferred configuration. After Drake's verse, you can hear the swede crank it up.  Just relax, man, you don't have to semi-yell so much.
If there was a good beat behind that cooking show, you wouldn't know the difference.

Method Man - The Meth Lab.  One of the lesser stars of the Wu Tang universe in my opinion, but Method has still put out some good tunes over the years.  Interesting thing on this one is that he has found a guest star (not sure if it is Hanz On or Streetlife, think its Hanz On) who sounds just like Ghostface, and he uses him liberally in these tracks.  Why not use the real thing?  Maybe they have some dumb beef going on right now or something. Anyway, this one is ah-ight.  Pretty forgettable, but not bad by any measure.  Meth is, without a doubt, the best of the rappers on here until Raekwon shows up for a verse, but unfortunately there are a ton of guests on here, and most of them are weak.

Metz - II.  I can't remember where I found this album, but it is hard rock action following right up in the footsteps left behind by Nirvana.  The vocal sound more Fugazi-esque to me, but the tunes are right up the alley of In Utero-phase Nirvana.  The most popular track on Spotify is called "Acetate," but I think I like "The Swimmer" better.
The only thing missing from a great "Very Ape" tribute is that they never break from the skuzz to sing in harmony for a chorus, it just stays hard throughout.  Pretty fun album.

I need to find one more "M" band to make this the greatest "M"-band post of my entire life! Come on!  LET'S DO THIS!

Mac Miller - GO:OD AM.  ANOTHER DOUBLE M!  I'M A GOLDEN GOD!!!
I remember trying out his last album - Watching Movies with the Sound Off - and being underwhelmed other than a track off the deluxe version called "Goosebumpz," which made me laugh.  This one is significantly better, with pretty solid beats and a generally slow, laid back flow of lyrics that bounce between good and boring.  "Two Matches," with Ab-Soul, "100 Grandkids," "In the Bag," and "Break the Law" are all pretty fun.  The most popular is one with Miguel singing along with him, but that one isn't my thing.  Here is "100 Grandkids"
Scary ass little kids.  Wish he hadn't lifted the "We ain't goin' no where" bit, but I like the track anyway.  I think I'm just going to save a handful of songs from this one.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

I would happily purchase Swedish Chef rap albums! Maybe they could feature Cookie Monster ("Cookies are good, cookies are tasty, come her slut, give me that gravy!", Oscar ("Yeah I live in a trash can, but bitch I don't live simply, your panties will drop when I step out of my Bentley") and Elmo ("Other muppets hate on me, say I'm too famous, I'm flaunting on earth, you out on Uranus. Yeah, you can call me the little red menace, but how dangerous can I be, I don't even got a penis"

Hard Core Muppet Rap Vol. 1. LET'S DO THIS!