Thursday, January 14, 2016

Quick Hits, Vol. 69 (Redman, Beach Slang, Billy Gibbons, Pusha T)

Right behind the Bad Lip Reading series, I think these things are funny as well.


The old ones with Brian Williams doing old school rap like Gin n Juice were also hilarious...

Redman - Mudface.  I have to admit to you that I thought Redman was involved with Wu Tang. Sadly, untrue, and I get a corner cut off of my Rap Knowledge Card.  He did have some collaborations with Method Man, which I am going to claim was the source for that misinformation. Anyway, somehow, Redman is still out there making mediocre rap albums with semi-funny bits and some truly unfunny portions.  I wanted to like "Beastin' (MCA)" because of the whole Beastie Boys-biting sample, but the lyrics are complete garbage.  I was hoping for a tribute to MCA, but he never even mention the Beasties, and actually mentions resurrecting Guru.  WTF, man?  What are you doing?  No need to listen to this album.

Beach Slang - The Things We Do To Find People Who Feel Like Us.  Holy Paul Westerberg, Batman!  A friend offered me his tickets to go see these guys when they came through Austin a few months ago, and I couldn't go, but I added them to the Q to see what it was all about.  I mean, seriously, if I told you this was a Replacements album or a Westerberg solo album and then played it for you, I can almost guarantee you would buy it. Serious homage going on here.  The most popular track is called "Bad Art & Weirdo Ideas."
The tunes also remind me of my 2014 ACL darling Gaslight Anthem, those hard charging, fist pumping, heart on the sleeve anthems that are wonderfully earnest and middle American.  Pretty good album and I'll keep it around to check out some more.

Billy Gibbons and the BFG's - Perfectamundo.  For those of you not steeped in a childhood of ZZ Top singles played on KLBJ-FM, this is the lead vocalist of ZZ Top.  You know, the one with the huge beard.  No, the other one with the huge beard, yeah, that one. And by the way, BFG are his initials.  Woah!  I want to say this is awesome, just because I kind of dig the guy and I like the combination of Tex/Mex and guitar fireworks that is going on here, but there is enough weird AutoTune, rap, and other offputting things going on in here that I can't fully support what is going on.  "Hombre Sin Nombre" seriously combines all, including a funky drummer beat, with the worst results.  I'd like to give my favorite song nod to "Piedras Negras," fully because I've been there many times to cross the border and so it has a special place in my heart, but I don't speak Spanish, and thus have no clue what is going on in the song.  Here is the most listened-to track on Spotify, "Got Love if You Want It."
Seriously, quit with the AutoTune.  Did something happen to his voice?  His classic ZZ songs have a great voice in them.  Why mess with it?  Best thing about the album?  The title.  Otherwise, pass.

Pusha T - King Push - Darkest Before Dawn: The Prelude.  I have a soft spot for King Push from his Clipse days.  Hell Hath No Fury was so excellent.  And this one has some of that same feel - tense, spare beats and growling flow of clever and interesting references. He samples Biggie on the second track, "Untouchable," which is cool.  That is his most listened-to track so far on Spotify, with just over 3 million spins.  "M.P.A." features A$AP Rocky and Kanye, and he's also got guest spots from Beanie Sigel and Jill Scott.  It's that Jill Scott one, which closes out the album, that I dig the most.
Those doves are mesmerizing.  Dark, cynical take on the race problems that are still going on here. Two lines: "I seen one-time turn sunshine into Freddy Gray," and "Yeah, we all see it, but cellphones ain't enough proof."  Solid track and overall good album.  Give it a chance.

2 comments:

Joseph Cathey said...

I couldn't tell you a thing that Redman has made, but I do know that his MTV Cribs was amazeballs. I've never seen a guy prouder of a crappy house in my life.

Joseph Cathey said...

Beach Slang was the band that the Hollywood Prospectus (now The Watch guys) from Grantland love. Good stuff!