Monday, February 29, 2016

Quick Hits, Vol. 76 (Rihanna, Brothers Osborne, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, Punch Brothers)

Rihanna - ANTI.  Having never listened to a proper Rihanna album, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect here.  As far as I know, she just sings "Umbrella" and the hook for about 50 million rap songs. The hit (already a #1 and also hot on streaming because Drake is on it) is "Work," which sounds like her just saying the word "work" three hundred times before she forgets how to pronounce those letters and just starts smearing the words into werwerwerwerwerwer as Drake mumbles.
Her voice is interesting - she actually has an original sounding voice, as opposed to all the other pop princesses out there right now.  It's that reggae-ish, dancehall, Caribbean thing she has going on, and I enjoy it on songs like "Desperado."  Also liked the "Never Ending" bit that sounds like Dido.  I won't say I care for some songs, like the Kanye-from-808's sounding "Woo."  But the best bit on the whole album for me was when she pulled off a straight up cover of Tame Impala's "Same Ol' Mistakes." I'm still trying to get off of that album, so hearing it pop up here like that was sweet.  I have to say I'm surprised overall by the album, this doesn't sound like dance/pop music much at all.  I won't keep this album around, but it was an interesting look into what millions of other people are listening to.

Brothers Osborne - Pawn Shop.  Generally good country rock/Americana heavy on the banjo.  The only track that I had recognized on here is the Buffet-esque "Rum," a slinky, laid-back little ditty about doin' nothing with some rum in your glass.  Their most popular track is called "Stay A Little Longer," and has a legit 19+ million streams on Spotify.
I'm less of a fan of that track compared to "Rum" or "Pawn Shop," its a little more slicked up, and loses the banjo in favor of lite rock electric guitar strummage.  This shouldn't be the big hit.  I even like the Lee Ann Womack-assisted "Loving Me Back" better.  I like bits of this well enough, but its also got some weakness that isn't going to cut it for me.  I won't keep it around.

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Paper Mache Dream Balloon.  Weird ass psych, heavy on flute/sax and old school 60's sounds.  Kind of reminds me of the jokey tunes that Ween put on Chocolate and Cheese.  I think I found my way to these dudes because they are from Melbourne, and as I was researching Tame Impala their name came up as fellow freak rockers.  This stuff doesn't quite rock out or groove enough to lock me in.  In case you want a taste, here is the most listened-to track on Spotify, "Sense."
Not going to hold on to this album.  I'm sure these songs will pop up on indie movie soundtracks and I'll have a vague recollection of this band name, but I have no need to keep listening to these tracks.

Punch Brothers - The Wireless.  A short little 5 song EP from the Punch Brothers that kicks it up a notch past what their last full length does with a little more verve and energy.  I love the instrumental on "The Hops of Guldenberg," dig the offbeat announcer voice in "Sleek White Baby," and enjoyed the slow burn of "Clementine," but its the album opener, "In Wonder," that I thought kicked it off right.
Starts off slow, and then fires up, with the usual fine noodling of the mandolin and Chris Thile's smooth vocals.  If you've read this blog before, then you know I love me some Punch Brothers and Nickel Creek and think that Thile is about as good as it gets.  I'd love for this collection to be a full album, but it looks like this was a set of extras left over from the last album.  I wish the whole of Phosphorescent Blues would have sounded more like this.  Fine little EP.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Check out the new King Gizzard album if you want something that rocks out and locks ya in... Complete 180 from Paper Mache. A lot of their previous stuff is a lot groovier as well, recommend Head on / Pill as an example

Jack said...

Nice, thanks for the rec. Finally got around to checking it out and I agree - pretty cool stuff.