Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Predicting ACL 2019: Scorecard

IT'S HERE!  Guns n' freaking Roses!  Holy crap!  I'm so pumped, just please don't let Axl have another freakout and cancel or something!

But, let's go back and take a look at how I did on predictions:

Hard Lock Groups I Feel Confident About:
  • Childish Gambino.  Yep
  • Kacey Musgraves.  Yeee-haw!
  • Cardi B.  Okkkuuuurrrr.
  • Tame Impala.  Righteous.
  • The Raconteurs.  Hell yes.
  • Billie Eilish.  Like a spider crawling out of a teenager's mouth.
  • Gary Clark Jr.  For sure.
  • Wilco.  NOPE.  KUTX just love them some Wilco, man.
  • Lizzo.  Dude.  YES!
  • Courtney Barnett.  NOOOOOOOO.  Sadness.
  • Tierra Whack.  Truth.
  • Dean Lewis. Nope - thanks alot ACL!
  • Lauren Daigle.  Yessir.
  • Judah and the Lion.  Uh huh.
  • Sigrid.  Word up!
  • Devon Gilfillian. Negative Ghostrider.  Pattern is full.
  • Haelos.  Nope, I'm an idiot (and/or the recent radio uptick means jack shit).
  • Ryan Bingham.  NOPE
Puts me at 12 right, 6 wrong.  66% seems pretty solid.  I'll take it.

Medium Level Fire:
  • The Strokes.  NO, HOORAY!
  • Post Malone.  NO, and and EVEN BIGGER HOORAY!!!!
  • Swedish House Mafia.  Nope - the EDM kiddies are having a bad year (which, hooray!)
  • Sheck Wes.  Damn, nope.
That's an impressive zero for four!  Batting Chris Davis percent there!  But hey, look, I didn't move them up into the lock category!

I Have No Clue (These are the bands I looked at and have no good reason to say either yes or no, but I can't count them out):
  • Flume.  Nope.
  • The Cure.  Holy shit, yes?  I mean, let's get weird with some old Cure shit!  Figured this wouldn't happen, but kept the possibility alive.
  • KISS.  Nope.
  • Queen & Adam Lambert.  Nope.
  • Madonna.  Le sigh... Nope.
  • Mumford & Sons.  Huh, well, welcome back to the folky rockers!
Nope Groups (These Bands are otherwise occupied or I otherwise say no for sure):
  • Dead & Co. Correct.
  • Muse.  Correct.
  • Fleetwood Mac.  Correct.
  • Foo Fighters.  Correct.
  • Mitski.  Correct.
  • Soccer Mommy.  Correct.
  • Jade Bird.  Correct.
I mean, not perfect by any means, but 66% of the ones I put on lock is pretty solid!  And other than Robyn and Guns n Roses, I at least semi-sorta guessed all of the top twelve!  Ten of twelve from the top two lines?  (sure, I couldn't say yeah or nah on Mumford or Cure, but whatever, no one can even remember that, bro).

Excited about this lineup.  Already really liking some of the bands I'm hearing - Sam Fender is very good.

No comments: