Monday, April 29, 2019

Monsieur Perine

One Liner: World music chameleons that seem perfectly fine 
Wikipedia Genre: Afro-Colombian sound that mixes Latin and European flavors
Home: Bogota, Columbia

Poster Position: ? (early announcement)

Day: ?
Both Weekends.

Thoughts: Wikipedia says their singer uses Spanish, French, English, and Portuguese.  If they are using English in any of these, I'm missing it - their whole 2018 album sure sounds to be in Spanish.  I feel like a fraud whenever I review music like this.  Without knowing anything of the words to the songs, I'm just left telling you that this is a perfectly passable Latin groove type of music that I normally never listen to.

Catalina Garcia is the lead singer - she apparently came to the States for a few years but then moved back to Bogota and formed this band with some dudes.  They won a couple of awards in Colombia and started getting noticed.  Here is the origin of their name, which sounds very lame: "The name of the group arose from Prieto's reading of Michel Houellebecq's "The Elementary Particles", which discusses the périnée. The word became a joke among the group, and thus the original name was simply 'Periné. García, who initially opposed the name, later added the word Monsieur, referencing the idea that everything that is French is elegant and refined."  Mmmkay.

Three albums - 2012's Hecho a Mano, 2015's Caja De Musica, and 2018's Encanto Tropical.  Their top track is from the new album, and actually balls out at 21.3 million streams.  That is a legit number of stream, man.  here is "Bailar Contigo."
I mean, yeah.  Pretty catchy, groovy little number.  But, she could be singing about the Church of Satan for all I know.  How about one more - this is "Sabor a Mi," from that first album.  12.5 million streams.
The instrumentation evokes France more than Columbia.  But again, sounds good and all, I'd just never go out of my way to hear it again.

I wish them the best in all of their future endeavors.  But I will not go watch this show.

No comments: