Monday, April 15, 2019

Predicting ACL 2019: Anticipated 2019 Albums

Here's another one that I skipped last year, although I can't quite recall why.  But, we frequently get bands who are out there pimping their most recent release to the world.  Sometimes we get bands who haven't released an album in years, but that is definitely not the norm.

I'm gonna look at a few websites talking about the most anticipated albums of 2019 (or something like that) and see what looks good out of it.  Although a lot of these are highly annoying - they just randomly list bands who maybe could put out music.  "Chance’s most recent release was 2016’s Coloring Book, so he’s due for something new."  That is NOT helpful!  If he isn't in the studio or talking about it, then who the hell knows!  You';re just saying he ought to release new music, which is a different animal.

I'm not going to go back to things like Post Malone, The Raconteurs, Vampire Weekend, or Tame Impala, because I've already talked about their chances, or garbage like that Blueface guy, because even if he is on the poster he will be in the type of print that makes my friends reach for their readers.

While not actually topical, I should also note that I am in the queue to buy Hamilton tickets right now, and the little idiotic man walking on my screen to show my progress in the waiting room is driving me insane.  23 minutes of waiting so far.  I bet I'm screwed.
  1. Lizzo.  Playing Coachella and some other minor festivals.  Tour ends in July as of now, but if she is just about to drop a new album, on April 19, I feel like she will add more dates and make a go of the tour.  Zero stops in Texas on that tour, so yeah, I feel this one.  AND SHE WAS FUCKING AMAZING LAST TIME SHE CAME TO ACL.  Going with my heart here and saying yes.
  2. Weezer.  Playing Coachella and a bunch of other fests, but have a show in Costa Rica on the Friday night of weekend one.  Even though they coudl theoretically still get here to play the rest of the weekend, my gut tells me no.  Also, their new album is lame.
  3. Hozier.  Khalid.  The National.  Last year.  No.
  4. Lana Del Rey.  Playing Swedish Lolla, and some other small festivals (including one called the Paleo Festival, which makes me sad for humanity).  No real tour as of now, and he last show is in July, so I'm gonna say no.
  5. Run the Jewels.  The dope on the morning show I listened to today said that he couldn't recall the difference between The Chainsmokers and Run the Jewels, and I've never wanted to reach through a radio to smack someone so hard.  Anyway, this would be dope.  They are playing Woodstock 50 in August, but no real tour as of now and nothing much happening.  The last time they came to ACL, I ended up seeing them three times that week, which was highly fun, but I don't see why I should guess this one.  No.
  6. Sleater-Kinney.  Literally zero shows scheduled on their website or Songkick.  No.
  7. Schoolboy Q.  OK, maybe this whole idea was dumb and that was why I didn't write this blog last year.  Q is also not on tour, just has three random shows on his calendar right now.  No.
  8. James Blake.  Zero shows in the US until one at the end of August in Philly at the Made in America festival.  I see no reason to predict this one.  No.
  9. Papa Roach (CUT MAH LIFE INTO PIECES!)  Playing Dallas and Houston on this tour, but it ends on September 1, so I'm sure they're coming to ACL.  Certain.  Just kidding.
  10. Foals.  On a big world tour that ends at the end of August in Russia.  But I don't see any indication that they would be coming back...
  11. Juice Wrld.  Coming to Austin on June 7 to play ACL Live, so No.  On the one hand, it is kind of dope that he sampled Sting.  On the other hand, that song is trash and my kids want to hear it all the time, so everything is horrible.
  12. Billie Eilish.  I thought for sure I had already looked at her, but nope.  Playing Coachella, Swedish Lolla, and a massive tour that ends on September 21 in Vegas at the I Heart Radio festival.  I think this one is going to happen, feels like her moment, she played Lolla last year, and she's a Live Nation artist.  Yes.
  13. Cage the ElephantNah, coming to Austin this summer with Beck.  AND I CAN'T GO TO THE SHOW!  I'm so pissed.  Bought tickets as soon as they went on sale, only to find out we will be out of town that night.  I hate everything.  Spoon, Cage the Elephant, and Beck are so up my alley I would have gotten pregnant at that show.
  14. Catfish & the Bottlemen.  I am positively erect at the thought of seeing these guys play their new tunes, but nothing on their tour makes it look more likely than not.  Tour is done (for now) on August 17.  Although, they have no Texas dates on there as of now, so maybe they are going to announce more stuff once the album comes out?  For now though, no.
  15. The PixiesNope - they'll be playing shows in Europe during both weekends of ACL.
  16. Celine Dion.  Aww man, she's playing in Canada during Weekend One, but she's free during second weekend, so I'm absolutely certain that she plays second weekend.  LOCK IT DOWN!  Just kidding, no.
  17. Coldplay.  Every stupid year, I think about these guys and hope that they might come.  Every year they don't.  And I know that to many people out there, they are a punchline now, better known for having a kid named Apple with Gweneth or a hit EDM song with the Chainsmokers, but I'd still love to see them play live.  Buuuuut their website shows that zero shows are currently scheduled.  No.
  18. Tool.  Their tour peters out in June, but no dates in Texas are listed on that schedule.  I think this would be cool, but don't see any reason to believe it.  No.
All that, and I'm just going to say Billie Eilish and Lizzo.  Oh well, something to keep me busy while waiting for Hamilton tickets - WHICH I SCORED!!!

No comments: