Monday, July 8, 2019

Metric (2019)

One Liner: Solid indie rock cut with electronic rock and their few hits about a decade old
Wikipedia Genre: Indie rock, new wave, synthpop
Home: Toronto

Poster Position: 8


Both Weekends.


Thoughts:  I saw these cats back in 2012 for their ACL show, because my friend Jason was insistent that they would be good.  I was very much in the dark about their sound and had no clue who they were, but their show was great.  Sadly, I wasn't doing reviews of music back then or reviewing the shows, so I can't go back and see what I said back then, but I still recall them being a high energy and fun band.  Kind of like Chvches with more guitar and less synth.

The lead singer is definitely the focus of the band, and has an interesting background.  Emily Haines was born in India, to American parents, but was raised in Ontario.  His father is poet Paul Haines and raised her on odd and eclectic music.  She went to a high school for the arts in Toronto (notable alumni include Keanu Reeves getting kicked out) and met several classmates who ended up, along with her, as part of the gigantic collective Broken Social Scene.  She then attended but didn't finish at Julliard.

Their top track is from 2009's Fantasies, which actually has three of their four most streamed tunes (and only four of their tunes break the eight digit stream count).  "Help I'm Alive" has a Breeders-meets-Wolf Alice vibe to me, and I dig it.
The part when it goes acoustic strummy at 1:20 or so is golden to me.  Feels like it peels away a ton of stress and just becomes pure and joyful.  I just heard it yet again while writing about a different band and came back here to note it again - I love that moment so much.

Oh, and then the second-most streamed tune - this one was on the alternative radio all the time back then, I remember this one.  "Gold Guns Girls," with 21.9 million streams, is much more frenetic and driving.
Pretty great song - feels ominous, and the video of them all running around New York like they are escaping something adds to it.  I like both her voice and then angular guitar-work.  This whole album is very good.

2018's Art of Doubt is their best album since that 2009 track, as it goes back to the "basics" of guitar driven rock music, instead of a full-on electronic attack.  "Risk" has keyboards straight out of a Strand of Oaks track.

Synthetica, from 2012, is more of a Chvrches meets classic Cure thing - the new wave influence is all over it, as are lyrics about electronic alienation.  Their angle in this middle section of albums is definitely more electronics in the music, and less pure guitar rock.  They also get a duet with Lou Reed on "The Wanderlust" that took me by surprise on my first listen, but is unmistakably Reed.  2015's Pagans in Vegas keeps that same sort of sound as this 2012 album, new wave style synths like the absolute theft of Depeche Mode sounds on "Lie Lie Lie," or some 8-bit video game noises on the most popular track, "The Shade."  

These albums are fine, but not nearly as good as their earlier stuff or their most recent album.  I guess I just prefer the more straightforward guitar-based rock rather than the electro-centered stuff.

2006's Knives Don't Have Your Back doesn't even appear to actually be a Metric album, although it is listed with their albums in Spotify, it is like Haines went out and made her own personal Aimee Mann/ Fiona Apple album.  Its OK.  Their "first" album, released as their third album in 2007 (don't ask, its all very confusing) is Grow Up and Blow Away, and is fine.  I like the more straight-forward rock of Old World Underground, Where Are You Now from 2003.  One song from that album is still in their top ten most popular on Spotify, the only track not from their most recent disc or the 2009 hit to stay on their top ten.  This is "Combat Baby," with 4.2 million streams.
Pretty OK track - not as great as their hits from later in the decade, but that semi-sneering vocal that almost reflects some 50's doo-wop stuff over the jangly guitars is still good.  Like a Garbage track from the same era.

I'd definitely go see this show.  I think it would be a very fun rock and roll show, with a little sheen of electronica tossed in.

No comments: