Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Briston Maroney

One Liner:  Great basic rock and roll from a former American Idol contestant.
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, going with rock.
Home: Nashville

Poster Position: 18


Both Weekends.


Thoughts:  Side by side on the poster, we have the two contenders for Most Lacrosse Bro Sounding Name of the Fest.  While Dylan LeBlanc has some good staying power in that name, I gotta give the nod to this one that sounds both like a place, a last name, and a fancy cocktail.  Although, now that I critically look at the poster, there are some other good candidates for Most Lax Bro name, like Stone Wheels, Pike And Sutton, Tierra Whack, Weyes Blood, and The Score.  The Score might actually be the best.  "Hey Yo!  The Score, let's go beat the shit out of those losers St. Augustine!  Like, the poorest private school, right bro!" Whatever, this guy's name is weird.

Aside from the name, this music jams.  I've been streaming it for three days and getting behind on my other reviews because I just want to keep hearing it more and more.  Kind of in the vein of local legend Will Sexton, or newly local goofball Ben Kweller, this is guitar-forward rock with contemplative lyrics under it.  His top track is from a 2018 EP called Carnival, with 2.1 million streams, this is "Freakin' Out On the Interstate."
"I'm sorry I haven't been myself
And something's got me down
What it is, I cannot tell
I won't be satisfied with anything I've earned
Fear is just a part of love
And one thing I found
Is love is what you deserve."  

a beauty of a song - not only for the lyrics, but the tune and guitar-work are also great. I've been singing it over and over for the past week after listening to it, its a catchy track. Another track off of that EP, "Under My Skin" is great because it is harder, brawnier, shows off a little more of his chops. Three total EPs on Spotify - 2017's Big Shot, 2018's Carnival, and 2019's Indiana.  One track from that new EP is beating the rest of the others handily, this is "Caroline" with 493k streams.
The fun part of that one is when the guitars build up and it kicks in a little bit. 

I'd also like to note that homie tried out for American Idol when he was a freaking CHILD:
Go to about 1:00.  Says he plays his grandfathers old guitar he used to use in Nashville back in the day.  And he's a sophomore in high school.  His voice has mellowed quite a bit since then, for the better.

I dig it.  Bring me all the Briston Maroney.  I'll go play some lax with him and then rag on him for calling J. Lo "ma'am" over and over again.

No comments: