Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Erin Rae

One Liner:  Lovely crooner walking a line between country and indie
Wikipedia Genre: Folk pop, indie pop
Home: Nashville

Poster Position: 17


Weekend One Only.


Thoughts:  A beautiful voice, backed by some pretty relaxed tunes that border between classic country and a kind of torchy indie.  Spotify bio claims several albums, for Erin Rae & the Meanwhiles, but the only one available on Spotify under Erin Rae is 2018's Putting on Airs.  Lead singer of the band is named Erin Rae McKaskle, in case you were unsure about the name's provenance.

Super FRESH Tiny Desk!  This was literally uploaded TODAY (well, last Wednesday by now):
My goodness, that is just nothing but pure loveliness.  Roll it up, crush it, grind it, soak it in lemonade, freeze it and then and let it run down my chin on a hot summer day.  The album music is the same - loads of comfortable sounds - steel guitar, acoustic strumming, soft drums - and her lovely voice weaving in and out over the top.

Top track is "Wild Blue Wind," with 2.2 million streams. Live version, but you'll get the picture.
On some Emmylou Harris shit, and I'm here for it.  She also does a "Merry Christmas Darling" cover that is some smack-dab right-on Carpenters sounding stuff.

Her most recent single (released June 14) has only 28k streams so far, but I'm sure it is minutes from blowing up into the 30k level.
29 whopping views on the YouTube for that video, so as usual, my tastes are wildly out of line with the masses.  Whatever.  I know some days I'm down on pretty things and would rather have the gut punching blast of rock or rap, but this is the perfect stuff for me right now.  I could listen to this all day.

No comments: