Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Isaac Dunbar

One Liner: Alternative pop tunes that I can barely remember even as he is still playing.

Wikipedia Genre: Alternative pop, pop
Home: Massachusetts (had no clue how to spell that state name!)

Poster Position: 17

Weekend One Only.  Sunday.

Thoughts:  His Wikipedia says that he started creating EDM music when he was nine.  How cool is that?  He watched YouTube tutorials and figured it out.  I wish my kids had learned how to make EDM at age nine and made me independently wealthy.  Or at least got it so that I would get a free pass to ACL every year.

He got started in 2017 and got some notoriety with tracks being shared by The Fader, Beats 1 radio show, Complex, and MTV.  But, of course, right when he was about to go headline his first big tour - COVID.  He's also a youngun.  18 years old now, meaning that he was making waves when he was still a teenager.  He is a big Lady Gaga stan - ARTPOP is why he started making music.  he learned production by re-producing the songs on this album and figuring out how that worked.

4 albums - 2019's balloons don't float here, 2020's isaac's insects, 2021's evil twin, and then 2022's Banish the Banshee (he found out about capital letters!).  Meanwhile, his top streamer isn't on any of those albums.  "onion boy" was a 2019 single, which now has 20.2 million streams.
Sounds like a Eilish track, and he definitely looks like he is 14 in that video.  "Brush your teeth you onion boy" is really something for a lyric.  Not sure I get the hype on that one.  
I was kind of cruising along, not loving him and not hating it, until "Gummy" came on and made me deeply annoyed about this guy.  Bad song for sure.  The top song from the new album is "Bleach," let's try that one to see if it is any better.  2.2 million streams.
He's definitely gotten older - I like the new hairdo.  That track kinda makes me think of the new Harry Styles sound.  Strong voice and retro sounding tune.  Dude can hit some freaking high notes!  I want to be generic bank executive #7 in this video.  I was hoping that "Tainted Love" was going to be a cover, but no such luck.  "Sunburn" is a good dance track.

Yeah, my overall feeling here is ambivalence.  It isn't awful or anything, but much of it just kind of slides by as background music as I have been getting other things done.  "Sunburn" made me do an old man shoulder bop for a sec, but otherwise I don't notice anything very interesting.

No comments: