Thursday, July 21, 2022

Jessia

One Liner: Poppy singer with good songwriting chops

Wikipedia Genre: Her Wikipedia doesn't list a genre, but I'll say pop.
Home: Ucluelet, British Colombia, Canada

Poster Position: 25

Weekend One Only.  Saturday.

Thoughts:  My initial reaction was of annoyance - another breathy pop singer with some edgy lyrics doing the same thing as everyone else.  But after a few songs, it isn't just the same as everyone else.  I think she's lyrically better than some of the other pop dreck that has been on the poster.  The imagery and wording in "Next Time" is solid - and her telling on him to his parents is rough.  Olivia Rodrigo vibes.  But then again, her squeaking and whispering voice also makes me want it to stop.  That is her most recent single, so I'll give it to you to try.
Right?  It isn't anywhere near as good as the "Driver's License" song, but can't you hear an echo of that in here?  "Next time just lie" is a good lyric though.

Before that, her catalog is one monster single - 2021's single "I'm Not Pretty."  103 million streams.  Nothing else has more than 5 million streams, so that one must have hot on TikTok or something.
The chorus lyrics of that one are super catchy, but also very annoying.  Although the body positivity stuff is good - certainly hope my daughters have that sort of attitude despite all of the imagery they see all day.  Just be in love with your butt!  And yes, "I'm not Pretty" was originally released on TikTok.

She won the Juno Award (like the Canada Grammys) for Breakthrough Artist of the Year at the Juno Awards of 2022, and was nominated for Single of the Year for "I'm Not Pretty," Pop Album of the Year for How Are You? and the Fan Choice Award.  That is her only album - although with only 6 songs it sure smells like an EP to me.

I doubt I'd go see it, but it certainly is not the worst thing on the poster so far.

No comments: