Friday, September 2, 2016

ACL Eats 2016

I did this last year, reviewing the food that you'll find at the Festival in addition to the tunes. However, since the food lineup is pretty darned similar to last year, I'm going to just cut and paste the majority of this and add some new commentary.

You will eat well at this festival.  They do an awesome job of bringing legit local food folks out there to offer a wildly diverse menu, from pizza and burgers to Indian and Greek and back to BBQ.  These days, with food trucks insanely popular and readily available, people have gotten damn good at cooking real deal food in a little tent of limited kitchen, and so you can do better than hot dogs and garbage nachos.  It ain't cheap, but you can probably do two meals for about $30 total (plus $800 in beer) for a good day at Zilker.  In short, the food is the same way that Lizzo feels:


The Menu listing all of the restaurants/options is ridiculously detailed, so I'm not going to try to run through that whole thing.  Unfortunately, this year they don't actually list the menu items with prices as in years past, so I'm making guesses on the costs and selection, based on prior years.  The selection will allow you to try several iconic Austin places or just get some food in your belly.  The choice is yours.  Here are some eats that I remember from the past few years.


Awesome Things:

  • East Side King's Poor Qui Buns.  $8.  So stinkin' good.  I love those soft, steamed buns, and the pork and seasoning going on in this was great.
  • P. Terry's burger. $4.  Best deal in the park.  I like these burgers anyway, but instead of dropping $8 on something weird and potentially bad, you can fire down two excellent burgers for the same price.  This is definitely my go-to when in the park and trying to snag food in between shows.
  • Mighty Cone!  $7.  These things are awesome.  They have a chicken and a shrimp, and I recall destroying several a year ago.  Great crunch on the fried protein, plus a tasty sauce, some slaw, and a tortilla of sorts.  Yummo.
  • Peached Tortilla.  We have eaten at their new brick and mortar several times this year, a kind of hybrid of Asian and Mexican that is mighty tasty.  Brisket tacos or pork belly tacos?  Heck yes.  If their burger is available, it is bad ass also.
  • Burro Cheese Kitchen.  I've eaten these things while at the Austin Beerworks brewery, and they are freaking good.  Those little King's hawaiian rolls with cheese melted inside are mighty tasty!
  • Torchy's, but I'm not going to wait in line for this stuff.  I can get it anytime at home.
Not Awesome Things:
  • Chi'Lantro Kimchi Fries.  $8.  This trailer used to be right across the street from my office and it was awesome.  They pretty much serve that one kind of meat 7 or 8 different ways.  The burger, with a fried egg on it, is so fantastic.  But that wasn't an option here, so I went with the fries.  I recall them being less than warm, and kind of bad underneath the yummy kimchi.  Mediocre.
  • Mmmpanadas green chile chicken empanada.  $8.  My recollection of this is that this was a poor choice.  I thought it would be a good change of pace, but I recall it being kind of waxy and dry.  And pretty sure I pooped green afterwards.
  • Tino's Greek Cafe.  I tried to be adventurous last year and grabbed a super dried out Gyro wrap from this joint.  Not again.
Somehow, a crazy person in charge apparently decided that they shouldn't offer Stubb's this year, which was my other go to easy meal in the park.  Their chopped beef sandwich comes with chips for $8.  But they aren't listed on the website anymore, I guess you have to go with Salt Lick now for your cheap BBQ eats.  

They did add in Micklethwait Barbeque, which has some great food.  I ate at their festival-style booth at a golf tournament earlier this year and it was excellent.  The brisket was well cooked and flavorful and all the nerdy nerd things that BBQ snobs demand now out of anything they eat.  I recall a pickle or something too.  Anyway, you should try this.

Assuming I can tear myself away from East Side Kings and P. Terry's, here are some things that I want to seek out to try:
  • Way South Philly Authentic Cheese Steaks.  That sounds really good right now.  No indication of what they will cost, but I'd assume $8 for a sandwich, which sounds yummy.
  • Two more burger entries - Wholly Cow and Hat Creek - but I'll likely stick with the simplicity of P. Terrys.
  • Southside Flying Pizza.  They've also got Austin's Pizza there, but I'd probably go try this one instead.
  • Lonesome Dove Western Bistro.  I ate at the real restaurant not that long ago and liked it, but it may be a little fussy at the Festival.  We'll see - maybe they can make something awesome and bite-sized but filling?
As for actual eating, know that it is a grind to get the best stuff during the usual eating times. If you want to get Torchy's at noon, expect to wait for it.  The word is out and the tourists want to eat the tacos.  This is one of the reasons I go with the burger - for ease - they have them ready and you just snag, pay, and roll along. Also, regardless of how tired you are of standing, you likely are not going to get a spot to sit in the shade by the food stands unless it is an off time.  Usually, every seat in the big eating tent is occupied by some large group of bored-looking college kids who are texting each other and fanning themselves with their hip straw fedoras.  They aren't eating, but when you glance around with food in hand, hopefully scanning for a spot to sit, they do not move, or offer their seat, they just continue to chew their gum and stare.  I love the youth.

Last year, the snow cone stand (SNOWIE!) was absolutely PACKED on the second weekend Sunday, because it was freaking hotter than hell and people wanted to either get something cold or die.  The line was insane.  I did not go get myself a SNOWIE, instead, I went into the Grizz show and bumped my body heat index up to 110 degrees.  It was amazing.

No comments: