Tuesday, September 27, 2016

ACL 2016: Saturday Thoughts

Saturday is going to be freaking great.  Heavy rap day, with Kamaiyah, Schoolboy Q, Kendrick Lamar, LL Cool J, Jazz Cartier, and DJ Mustard (onnbee HO!).  There are a bunch of artists on this day who I never knew until this process, and then there are a handful I already know I like.  Going to be a good day, even if this is going to be the day with the most painful conflicts.  I'm going to have to miss a lot of good music.



The Saturday playlist for you to enjoy as you peruse the below thoughts.

12:00
Miller
Israel Nash: Classic Neil Young, and then some shape-shifting into Ryan Adams and the Stones
Cirrus
Jazz CartierToronto rapper who takes more cues from Kevin Gates than Drake
(now at 12:45 on Samsung)
HonneI don't know, man.  More indie synth stuff.  These bands are starting to run together

This is a tough choice for me right here at the start.  The more I listen to Nash and Cartier, the more that I like both of them.  If we make it out to the park this early, I might just have to go check out a few songs from each guy.  If I'm forced to make a choice, I'd probably go with Nash just to ease my way in to the day with something nice and chilled.


12:45

Honda
Nothing But ThievesGroove-based, Muse-esque rock and roll
Tito's
Matt the ElectricianFine singer/songwriter tunes from a local guy
BMI
The GillsFun punk-ish rock out of Nashville with a Brit bent
DROPPED OUT
HaelosAnnoyingly spelled electronic pop

This is a huge bummer for me.  Two of the best new bands that I've heard because of checking out the Fest are Nothing But Thieves and The Gills.  I like them both a lot.  NBT are a little more polished, a little more radio friendly and currently popular, but the Gills have this rad raw-ness that I want to see.  I think I'll likely do NBT, but we'll see how I feel.  Oh, and Matt the Electrician is actually really great too - he'd be a great way to start your day if you want to have a chill start to your Saturday, go see Israel Nash and then Matt and you'd be off to a great start.

1:30
Miller Lite
CavemanGood indie rock reminiscent of War on Drugs
Cirrus
Lewis Del MarElectro acoustic as though Jose Gonzalez found a drum machine
Tito's
Kamaiyah (1:45): Bay Area bad ass lady rapper
HomeAway
GallantElectronic alternative R&B with a golden voice over boring tunes

Another rough choice for me - why couldn't some of these people been on Friday in the dead zones? Caveman has some great songs that I have still been listening to for the past few weeks, but I've got to go see Kamaiyah do her thing.  I've been singing "I'm Kamaiyuh, you must retiyah" for the past few days over and over in my head.  We'll see how the show is with no one there this early in the day, but I'm in to check it out.

2:30
Honda
Saint MotelSunny pop rock purveyors who created "My Type"
Tito's
Luisa Maita (2:45): Brazilian tunes
BMI
Lucy DacusIndie rock girl doing good work with a torchy voice
Samsung
City and ColourSurprisingly good blues rock reminiscent of Jeff Buckley

Man.  Another bummer of a conflict.  I'm going to go do City and Colour, but I'd also like to go party with Saint Motel.  But I feel like the band of those two with the staying power and the better music will be C&C.  Lucy Dacus also has a few great tunes, and an excellent voice.  You wouldn't be out of line to go check her out.

3:30
Miller
Andra DayNew Amy Winehouse who wants you to Rise Up instead of dodge rehab
Cirrus
Jack Garratt"Next Big Thing" sounds like last year's soul electro
Tito's
NAWAS (4:00): The Weeknd-lite
HomeAway
DJ MustardYou know, the rap producer who starts every track with "Muzzyonnabee Ho!"

Meh?  I guess I'll go see Garratt so that I can hear "Surprise Yourself" and tear up a little bit, but Andra Day or DJ Mustard might also be fine?  Nothing in this hour is must-see appointment viewing for me.

4:30


Honda
Catfish and the BottlemenBadass rock and roll
BMI
Aubrie SellersGood country-fied rock from Lee Ann Womack's daughter
Samsung
LL Cool JDon't Call It a Comeback!  I Been Here for Years!

I'd love to see all three of these.  But I want to see Catfish the most.  From the last time I saw LL, I'll say that he did more of the slow jam, love track stuff than I would have liked, I just wanted him to stick to the hard shit and walk with panthers and stuff.  "She got booty?"

5:30
Miller
Melanie MartinezCutesy (a little too cutesy at times) but explicit electro indie pop
Cirrus
The Naked and FamousNew Zealand electronic indie pop I thought was MGMT
Tito's
Nao (5:15): Female version of Gallant; electro alternative R&B
HomeAway
AlunaGeorgeTerrifically boring electronic pop

Another kind move by the scheduling folks at C3, giving me a perfect opportunity to go find some good food during a dinnertime set of stuff that I could care less about.  Out of the four of these, I'd probably choose Martinez, but that is not a ringing endorsement.  I absolutely will not go watch Nao or Aluna.

6:30


Honda
Cage the ElephantGreat, straight-forward rock and roll with some pop cross-over success
Tito's
Bomba EstereoCatchy Latin electronic dance music transcends language for a few tunes
BMI
New MadridWhat kind of band is My Morning Jacket?  Then yeah, these guys are good at that
Samsung
Schoolboy QReal deal new school gangster rapper, buddies with Kendrick

This one sucks.  I'd go pay money to see Cage, Madrid, or Schoolboy.  I feel like I'm going to choose Cage, as their new album is really good stuff and I'm excited about seeing them for the first time. Schoolboy's new album is excellent as well, but I've seen him three times before.  But I'd love to see him again.  Dilemma!  New Madrid is going to lose out for sure, but I'm sad about that because they are cool too.

7:30


Miller
Andrew BirdBeautiful and warm indie tunes
Cirrus
Two Door Cinema ClubCrazy fun Irish dance pop with guitars involved
HomeAway
The ChainsmokersEDM, just like you've heard so many times before

Two Door Cinema Club is the correct choice here.  They are fun, rocking, danceable, and smart sounding stuff.  That being said, Bird is actually really excellent music that I enjoy listening to.  And Chainsmokers looks fun as crap to go jam out too, even if their actual music is garbage.

8:30


Honda
KygoInsanely popular but generic EDM
Samsung
Kendrick LamarOne of the top rappers today

Kendrick all day.  Kygo is terrible.  I've seen Kendrick before, but that was before To Pimp a Butterfly and his off the chain Grammy performance, so I'm pretty pumped to see what he does in his shows these days.

No comments: