Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Quaker City Night Hawks

One Liner: Bluesy rock goodness

Poster Position: Nope
Slot: Sunday at 4pm

Thoughts:  Love it.  Had never heard of these dudes before, but this is some swampy, jammy, loose and goosey rock and roll tasty freeze.  Fort Worth appears to be home, and their label has a great background article/interview/press release.  They' ve got three albums, but its the new one that I can't stop playing - 2016's El Astronauta.  While it isn't their most listened to song or most popular track, "Mockingbird" got the rad video treatment, so check this out.
Damn right.  Don't mess with the mockingbird, or it'll get cried on, shed it's bionic shell, and then sit on a lady's shoulder while these four dudes from the band go gunslinger-Dark-Tower on the mega vulture.  This all makes sense.  And is awesome!  Great tune.  I think "Liberty Bell 7" is pretty bad ass as well, kind of a MMJ feel, but with a little more blues in there, like maybe some Black Keys.  Whatever, it sounds awesome.  The most listened to track from the new album is called "Good Evening" and has 194k streams.
These dudes are kind of reminding me of my infatuation with Spanish Gold a few years ago.  I could jam this album all damn day long.  "Medicine Man" has some Black Crowes style licks, "Beat the Machine" had a touch of country flair, "Duendes" sounds like "Radar Love" was a deep inspiration, this is all just hitting the right notes for me.

Their most listened to track overall is from their debut album, 2011's Torquila Torquila! (which also involves some upside down exclamation marks in the name for authentic flair).  "Cold Blues" clocks in at 202k streams.
That laid back sound is like some classic ZZ Top brawny fuzzed out rock and blues action, and I dig it.  You aren't breaking boundaries or making new stuff here, but who the hell cares?  Just turn that up and flex your muscles a little.  Their other album is 2013's Honcho, and although it doesn't rank on their top ten list, I think "Witch Kitchen" might be my favorite track.  The track that makes their top ten from that album is "Fox in the Hen House," with 83k listens, which is pretty tight as well.
These videos always crack me up because the people are so damn jammed into that van.  Looks so uncomfortable.  But you get the flavor of the jam anyway.  Get on down into that groove.

Dig what these dudes have going on, as you can tell from the effusive gushing above.  Fun thing about this is that these are the last people I think I have to review (other than the kiddies stuff) and I love their music.  How awesome is that?  Never would have heard of them if it weren't for doing this blog and my obsessive compulsive need to listen to everything, but now I'm a fan.  Cool stuff.

Sadly, they are up against Nathaniel Rateliff, so I'll miss them at the Fest.  Maybe I'll find them at another show sometime.

No comments: